Windows Phone 7.5 hits RTM, first 'Mango' phone unveiled

Jos

Staff

Microsoft announced this Tuesday that the next major version of its Windows Phone operating system, code-named Mango, has been delivered to handset partners so they can get ready for a fall launch. The update brings a number of much awaited new features, including an HTML5 version of Internet Explorer 9 for mobiles, deep Twitter integration, better multitasking support, an improved messaging system, new Bing features and more.

"This marks the point in the development process where we hand code to our handset and mobile operator partners to optimize Mango for their specific phone and network configurations. Here on the Windows Phone team, we now turn to preparing for the update process," said Terry Myerson, Microsoft's corporate VP of engineering for Windows Phone.

Microsoft unveiled Mango in May, promising it will be available by year's end for free to existing Windows Phone 7 customers, and will ship on new phones from Samsung, LG, HTC and a few other partners. Nokia, which agreed to switch to Windows Phone as its primary platform, will also offer multiple Windows phones; the first one is codenamed Sea Ray.

windows phone mango oems

Although it's no secret that Windows Phone 7 hasn't been selling well, many believe things will start to pick up with Mango and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps. There's no set date for a launch yet but today Microsoft Japan, mobile carrier KDDI and cellphone maker Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications announced what will be the world's first Mango handset: the uninspiringly named IS12T.

The device, which will also be Japan's first to carry the Windows Phone operating system, will feature a 13.2 megapixel camera with autofocus, 32GB of flash storage and will be launched in September at the earliest. It will be a waterproof handset available in three different colors and will be powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8655 processor.

Permalink to story.

WoW looking Brill although I don't like the Green&Pick since it makes the phone look cheap and horrible. But anyway 13Mpx camera! Thats awesome and nice 32GB of storage is pretty sweet as well.

But what will they charge for it? Hope it won't be as expensive as the iPhones... Best of luck to Microsoft really looking forward to this release.

& whats Ballmer been smoking?

Man those are gross looking phones. Hopefully they will run better than they look.

It's nice to see a Windows Phone article that doesn't have Emil's standard last-two-paragraph-cut-and-paste job in it.

Those bricks should be labeled as hand tools. And the "brilliant" square menus and icons add a deeper sensation of bulkiness. And then, instantly, the BSoD image comes to mind even if it had nothing to do with it. Man, these guys haven`t learnt anything from Apple, everything must be curved smooth and light to the eye, is not technology that wins, is style and you can always overprice style.

Waterproof phone is always going to look ugly, it will be nice to see what Nokia come out with.

wagan8r said:
It's nice to see a Windows Phone article that doesn't have Emil's standard last-two-paragraph-cut-and-paste job in it.

Haha, I thought I was the only one who noticed...

I don't know why but I ****ing love Balmer. He seems like a blubbering *****, he always makes me laugh. How can you hate him.

Archean said:
yRaz said:
kg363 said:
lawfer said:
wagan8r said:

Haha, I thought I was the only one who noticed...

Can't stand his articles

agreed

May be he got bored while waiting for this?
This article is written by Jose. Has anyone else noticed that there haven't been any articles by Emil for a week or so? I've found the quality of and pleasure in reading Techspot is inversely proportional to the number of articles by Emil.

after my post a while back, i decided to purchase one windows phone 7 to replace my 2yo phone. it's a great OS, can't wait to update mine to mango.

Back