TechSpot

Windows Phone 7.5 Mango hands-on preview

By Julio Franco
Jun 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Last week Microsoft presented me with a Samsung Focus smartphone that was running a recent pre-release build of Windows Phone 7.5 "Mango." Mango is the version of the OS that…

Read the whole story

2. Very Fluid... not bad.

3. Did they finally loosen it up a little? Can we replace the horribly anemic ring tones and alert sounds with something that doesn't inspire a deep seated resentment the sounds of 8 bit video games?

4. backo

backo TS Member Posts: 58   +8

Looks really good!

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 881   +130

MS has confirmed and previously demoed custom ringtones in the mango release. I'm not sure about custom alerts though.

6. Wow! Mango gets sweeter and sweeter by the day.

Great review!

7. Mango is a laxative... I'll pass on this one tho.

8. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

It's a start

9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

They just need to release this ASAP. While the OS looks great, it just seems they are trying to make people get excited about features that SHOULD HAVE BEEN there to begin with. Little things here and there, such as no custom ringtones--in an era where even prepaid phones have such feature-- just goes to show Microsoft rushed the release, thinking that maybe, just maybe, their name (and Xbox Live) could have pushed the sales of these devices. Sadly, that isn't the case, and probably will never be if they don't speed up the development and update process.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't waste millions of dollars to develop and release an OS just to play catch-up... Oh, and the update is not Windows Phone 7.5, its 7.1

10. I wont trust MS here since they will soon charge hundreds of & for thier next update in future /support just as they do in the desktop/laptop space. No support for old OS and pay for new one.. WOW MS we dont trust u here. there r better players than u in the market and we support them

11. OOPS i ment hundreds of $

12. I don't care how much of an apple fan boy you are the OS looks be a generation ahead of iOS, don't know if iPhone 5 can match this. The only thing lacking is a rich app store, but that's fast improving. Ppl need to stop bashing Ms and realize they will make outstanding products with Nokia.

13. What's all this about ringtones etc? Surely everyone picks their favorite MP3s to use over the default ones right?

14. Looks like thier browser still got a long way to go. I have a fairly old Samsung phone just gone to that same site he ran his html5 test from and I scored 182/400 (weirdly +1 bonus point :p). With the web moving more and more to html5 phones need to be pushing for that 100% rendering and compatibility

15. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

haters gonna hate, I just hate back. The app store does need some work, they get mango out with a 5-10% in apps and I'm sure windows phone will really start to take off. People are afraid of change, at least the iOS fanbois...

16. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,059   +76

yRaz: People are afraid of change ....... period. It doesn't just iOS specific issue. If they weren't would they be making such fools out themselves by believing lairs who just keeping shouting 'change' instead of make it happen.

Anyway, I am eagerly awaiting this thing to come out on some refreshed hardware platform. By the way, Micheal +1 as WP interface indeed is a very beautiful compared to many clunky interfaces making rounds on android.

17. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

No, not on Windows Phone 7. They only give you, I think, about 20 or so ringtones. You cannot use your MP3s (not like you could even access the phone media to begin with), and you can't even buy ringtones from the Zune marketplace; so no, you are only restricted to the ringtones that came with the phone. Why would they let this slip? I just can't fathom how, in the development process, they didn't think to include it.

What I believe is, that they did in fact think about it, but, like I said, Microsoft rushed the release of the OS (I believe it was in fear of another version of iOS), and rushed out what is a mediocre phone. Because, while it is different and beautiful, it still lacks so many features that at the end of the day make it mediocre, overall. Mango is <I>exactly</I> what WP7 should have been. Had the release of WP7 been Mango, developers would have had even more access to the OS, and, much more likely, apps would have been released at a much higher pace.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.