Windows Phone 7 app store to require 7.5, Zune access pulled

By Rick
Apr 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Over at the Windows Phone Blog, Microsoft has announced a couple of changes coming to the Windows Phone Marketplace. First, the company will be removing the ability to download Windows...

Read the whole story
  2. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 857   +75

" First, the company will be removing the ability to download Windows Phone apps through their Zune PC software."

That's a bummer, I get most of my apps through the zune software since it is so much easier to browse and I don't have to worry about connecting to my wifi.... I don't know exactly how I feel about this but I'm certainly not happy. I use the zune software for music(before WP7 was even announced). My contract is up in February 2013 and I see no reason upgrade now. I'll see where things are headed around the time my contact is up.
  3. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

What do you mean "not have to worry about connecting to my wifi". I download apps on my Samsung Focus over 3G all the time.
  4. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

They're not forcing you to download apps through your phone. As stated in the article, you can DL apps through the browser at:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace\

It's just as easy as through Zune. Pick an app, hit download (log in if necessary), and in a few seconds it starts downloading/installing on your phone.
  5. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 857   +75

@treeski
    The Zune integration was a buying feature for my windows phone. I've been using it for a long time and it seems pointless to remove it after so many users have gotten use to it. The browser based marketplace works well and looks nice but it's inconvenient compared to what they were already doing.

@princeton
    Since I have ATT I pay way too much for data, that's all that needs to be said about that.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.