TechSpot

Windows Phone 7 can run native code, expect a jailbreak soon

By Emil
Nov 12, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Windows Phone 7 can run native code. Until today, it was believed that third-party WP7 apps could only be written in Silverlight. The ability to jailbreak Microsoft's latest mobile operating system may come sooner than you think.

Read the whole story
  2. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 294   +35

Gotta love smartphones. They're so easy to exploit.
  3. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 633   +60

Another one bites the dust. I can't wait to see what they can get as a result of this.
  4. Recipe7

Recipe7 TS Enthusiast Posts: 142

This may be good news though. A jailbroken phone = more people interested.
  5. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

Jailbroken phone = more app choices, also = greater chance of getting viruses or malware
  6. sMILEY4ever

sMILEY4ever TS Enthusiast Posts: 156

It's like saying cars are bad because a lot of people die in car accidents. Stuff happens.
  7. bioflex

bioflex TS Rookie Posts: 70

just one word......sweet, still looking forward to a windows 7 phone so badly.
  8. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Just one unword... Duh... of course it runs native code.

What do you think MS wrote the base applications with. I doubt the IE mobile browser is Silverlight or XNA...

And of course people will try to free it. It is the way of computer tech people everywhere and we love them for it. Its great to have options for now or later.
  9. fritz123

fritz123 TS Rookie Posts: 56

a jailbroken phone also means more people will develop apps. it will get a lot more people interested on the platform. more apps will probably attract more buyers. more buyers=more money. so having the jailbreak is good news right?
  10. Uvindu

Uvindu TS Enthusiast Posts: 153

IDK that apps can only be written in silver light (till now). I reaqlly enjoyed making little programs for my HP iPaq 110. I used Visual Basic.Net to create neat little apps. Sad to see that I won't be able to easily make any apps for the new Win Phone 7 :(
  11. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

Its the same as the Apple SDK only... it is only controled in the software. The hardware can run native code if you get passed the software blocks. But it still stands that when you start downloading software that almost anyone can right, you own personal security is more in danger. We have less tools to determine what our phones are doing then on our desktop machines. These are new times for security threats if you don't have strong technical skills, and even then...

12. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

This is the great part of technology. Bring out something new and it will be taken apart and investigated through and through until someone figure out exactly how it works.

I love this.
  13. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Seconded. :)

How long before a Linux based or derived kernel is seen to be running on a W7 phone though. :haha:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.