TechSpot

Windows Phone 8 mainstream support to end July 8, 2014

By Rick
Mar 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. It appears mainstream support for Windows Phone 8 is slated to end on July 8, 2014. Prior to recently updating its support website, lifecycle information for WP8 hadn't been officially published by Microsoft. However, this date confirms previous suggestions of...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

This short term support is what kills Windows Phone.

Edit: Couldn't this elude to Windows Blue's short release cycle.

3. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

This is for Windows Phone 8. Microsoft already stated all windows phone 8's will go up to the next version. Which those users will then fall under Windows Phone 9* support cycle.

4. JC713

Ahh very interesting, I didnt know this.

5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

@JC
    Short term support for any mobile OS norm, just check how many phones are still running on GB 2.3, either because a) there carrier/manufacturer didn't want to upgrade them, or b) some hardware limits stop them from doing it. So, 18 months for one cycle of OS seems reasonable to me.

However, more important thing is, MS need to be clear about its up-gradation path, e.g. big part of Samsung's success has been its willingness to upgrade the older high-end models for 3/4 OS releases. Such clarity will help WP grow its market share in a consistent manner.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Oh no, I was seriously considering a switch from Android to Windows later this year but it looks like that's gone out the 'window' now. Ah well no big deal.

JC713 likes this.
  7. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +27

This is a non-issue. This is only for the initial version of Windows Phone 8, As the article mentions there is already plans for two Windows Phone 8.x updates, which will extend support (similar to the WIndows Phone 7.8 extended support). Not to mention these handsets will be gonig to Windoiws Phone 9 as well.

8. JC713

Yeah exactly! I just wish Android's update cycle was like iOS, which doesnt need to rely on the carrier.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.