Windows Phone claims 7% market share in China in just two months

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft officially launched Windows Phone in China back in March and only two months later, the company has captured 7 percent of the market share in the region. This is a significant number as the iPhone only has a 6 percent share despite being on the market for a longer period of time, according to Microsoft’s COO in the Greater China Region Michael van der Bel as reported by online Dutch magazine Emerce.

Microsoft can likely credit the early success in the emerging market to manufacturers Nokia and HTC. Nokia has had a strong track record in China although Computer World notes that it has slipped in recent time. In the first quarter of 2011, the manufacturer accounted for more than 40 percent of the market share. By the end of the year, that percentage had dropped to less than a quarter of the overall market.

The news is a glimmer of hope for Windows Phone as global sales have been dismal at best. A new report shows that Microsoft’s wireless operating system market share fell 27 percent in the first quarter to just 1.9 percent overall. Microsoft’s mobile OS was generally well-received by critics but regardless, the alternative operating system just can’t gain traction. Information Week notes that some people feel that consumers have been conditioned through Android and iOS and can’t accept how “different” the Live Tiles on Windows Phone are.

It’s worth mentioning that Nokia Lumia 900 sales figures weren’t calculated into these results. Interestingly enough, however, Gartner predicts that by 2015, Windows Phone will become the second-largest mobile OS behind Android.

Permalink to story.

I have to say I think Windows Phone is a fantastic platform, and a breath of fresh air compared to Android, in my personal opinion (and having tested both).

I hope it does gain traction and takes a larger part of the market. It certainly deserves it, but Android and iOS are massive and their is no doubt WP is the underdog here.

I agree with Leeky, I am hoping WP7 will gain more popularity. I have the Nokia 800 and I love it, but I do hope WP8 will be an upgrade for the L800. Plus I want VPN access from WP.

Mind you if MS gets clever with marketing they could come out second. I still talk to people who have the Samsung Galaxy phone, and when I say, how are you liking Android, I get "Whats Android". People seem to buy by whats trending and how popular the product has become.

+1 Again Leeky ;)

The other day I was thinking about merits of spending reasonably large sum of money on various droids in recent years, and I couldn't but escape the fact that all of it was wasted on a platform which isn't worth that much hype. When I added up all the money, hell I could have easily assembled a 'high end' gaming system with it and still save some :(

I've spent an absolute fortune on mobile phones over the last two or so years, as I seem to grow bored of them too quickly, or kill them. So far this year I've killed a SGS2 and a Lumia 800. My Lumia 710 seems to be fairing well so far though, and considering the price I paid for it, I'm very happy with it.

The app situation is steadily improving on WP OS as well these days. A year ago it just didn't have the apps I needed on a regular basis. Fast forward to today and it has all of them, and while the app market isn't as large as iOS or Android, I'm quite happy with what it does offer, I'd never need the sheer variety of apps competitors offer anyway, my only interest is the core apps I use frequently.

That is a damn bargain Marno, I am so .............. not jealous :p

@Leeky
Agreed, I never bought the rubbish idea of 'having largest number of apps' its like 'having biggest pile of crap' as well. I would rather prefer 'a market place with emphasis on quality' ........

Heh-heh, I get that line almost every time I tell someone I own that, but then, what else do I want? Works how a cell phone should, has a music player, radio, bluetooth, etc. Fine by me! It's a gift actually, so I can't complain.
Though of course I envy when my friends when they show-off their Droids, Apples, or Galaxies.
Fancy that!

I can't say I do. I have two siblings with iPhone 4S' and they've never appealed to me. Granted, I haven't used iOS since the days of the iPhone 3GS (think it was iOS 4.2 or something) but I've never had an issue with the OS anyway, I just don't think its worth the additional cost of ownership when compared to say, my Lumia 710.

My friends and family all have the "top end" smartphones, and while they take the mick out of me for owning a WP OS driven handset, I'm the one that quietly smirks in the corner. You couldn't pay me to have any Android handset, or a iPhone 4S over my Lumia Windows Phone. It suits me perfectly, and it's so refreshing to use something that runs so god dam smoothly ALL of the time.

Android OS definitely isn't as smooth regardless of the total number of cores powering the thing, and while iOS is just as good as WP in its own way, Microsoft's OS wins due to the lower cost of ownership, at least in my personal opinion -- mileages do of course vary, however.

Android OS definitely isn't as smooth regardless of the total number of cores powering the thing, and while iOS is just as good as WP in its own way, Microsoft's OS wins due to the lower cost of ownership,

Point well made, bragging about having more cores is irrelevant as all these extra cores are doing is trying to make an inefficient OS perform a little better nothing more (forget about stability / security issues for a moment). IMHO if an OS (e.g. ICS 4.0.3 running on my Sensation) takes 5+ seconds just to get into systems settings there is something seriously wrong with it.

On iPhone 4S and iOS 5.1.x, it is a pure joy to use just like WP. However, I agree, there is not much logic in paying extra for it unless you are left with no other option, or lots of spare money.

Edit:
To add to what Leeky & I mean, I think this probably sums things up nicely:

"If you haven’t tried Windows Phone on the Lumia 900, you’re missing out. The visuals are very simple, animations are buttery smooth and it just works (yeah we just said that). It’s glossy, it’s slick, it’s very different, in short… it’s the nicest OS experience we’ve had since picking up Cupertino’s mobile-revolution-breeding devices for the first time. Add that to the fact that they’re cheaper to own than almost every high-end handset out there and it’s not difficult to see why they’re almost single-handedly rescuing Nokia from the financial abyss."

<sigh>...Price tags scare me, you know. So in that sense, Bada 2.0 is the love of my life. I personally don't see the draw to Apples, Droids, or WP. I'm actually a Samsung fan. So I just like Galaxy and other phones for the eye-candy.

Fair enough, speaking from my experience, one of the best WinMo phone I ever used was Omnia i900, so may be they can pull something out from their hat which can compete with Lumia's of future, if so, I may buy an Samsung smartphone again. ;)

Yeah, I used Lumia at the release party at a local mall, and it was quite good, unlike anything I've ever seen. One of my friends actually calls his Samsung smarty an "oversmart" phone. Gave me a laugh. Actually he was having an issue managing his music library. The "smart" classification was giving him trouble finding his files where they are supposed to be. Certainly, MS learns from its mistakes.

I'm actually quite happy for them, more players in the space means faster progress overall, as everyone is trying to out do everyone else. Sadly, they need to bump up the hardware though. I know it runs smoothly on a single core, but multi core phones are starting to tack on features that single core phones can't hope to have. Things like HTC's image sense, where you can take a picture while shooting video. Samsung's "face aware" SGS3 that keeps the screen on when it can tell you are looking at it. Android 4.0's on device dictation, which I use all the time.

If they want to drive market share out of the single digits, they need to start getting features like these.

I'm actually quite happy for them, more players in the space means faster progress overall, as everyone is trying to out do everyone else. Sadly, they need to bump up the hardware though. I know it runs smoothly on a single core, but multi core phones are starting to tack on features that single core phones can't hope to have. Things like HTC's image sense, where you can take a picture while shooting video. Samsung's "face aware" SGS3 that keeps the screen on when it can tell you are looking at it. Android 4.0's on device dictation, which I use all the time.

If they want to drive market share out of the single digits, they need to start getting features like these.
I definitely wouldn't want a multi-core phone which needs recharging every 18 hours.

Just like PCs where we seems to have settled the issue that four cores are where the sweet spot lies, I guess mobile manufacturers need to understand that for smartphones that spot can be achieved with Single Core (Medfield?) or at max with a dual core (Krait). WP (and iOS) clearly proves that a good OS will utilize whatever it has at its disposal much more 'efficiently'.

Back