Windows Phone Marketplace reaches 50,000 apps

Leeky

Microsoft's Windows Phone Marketplace has now surpassed the 50,000 app milestone. While that number still pales compared to both Android and iOS app stores, the Redmond-based software giant has every right to be impressed given its taken just over 14 months since the mobile OS was launched to achieve this landmark.

Content is increasing at an average of 256 apps per day. "The 50,000 mark, which has been reached sooner than we estimated, is a key milestone, but more important is the accelerating growth of the Marketplace. It took just over a year to get to 40,000 apps, but just 40 days to add the next 10,000 apps. That bodes well for Windows Phone in 2012," said Rafe Blandford yesterday in a post on All About Windows Phone.

windows marketplace microsoft windows phone wp7 wp 7.5 mango

The graph gives an overall view of the growth of the Marketplace's app portfolio from October last year, when the OS was first made publicly available. The numbers were collected by All About Windows Phone's own tracking system and give validation to Microsoft's rapid growth claims.

Not all 50,000 apps are available to every market though, for various reasons including legal or language differences. Around 6,000 have also either been removed by the software giant or their publishers. "The current approximate figures are: US (42,655), UK (40,305), France (39,235), Spain (37,027), Italy (36,944), Germany (36,958), Australia (37,024), India (36,752) and Singapore (36,922)," according to the report.

windows marketplace microsoft windows phone wp7 wp 7.5 mango

The 'entertainment' category is by far the biggest with 15 percent of all entries. After that 'books and reference' is in joint second place with 'games' and 'tools and productivity' at 14 percent each. Those four make up 57 percent of the total content available.

In comparison, it took Android 19 months to reach the same milestone and Apple around 12 months. In terms of overall size, both Android and Apple have around ten times more applications. Of those available Marketplace apps, 58 percent are free, 29 percent are paid for applications and 14 percent were paid for after completing free trials.

The increase could well coincide with the first Nokia Windows-based phones launched on October 26th, which will have sparked more interest in the alternative mobile OS developed by Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

50,000 apps and still missing the most important one (imo =P): skype.
It's my primary communication device missing my secondary communication method.
/continues waiting impatiently

And Canadian bank apps are still missing, not to mention ticketmaster since IE wont access the site either.

Treeski said:
50,000 apps and still missing the most important one (imo =P): skype.
It's my primary communication device missing my secondary communication method.
/continues waiting impatiently

If you get a 2nd generation WP, you can always get Tango. It's on all major platforms (not sure about BlackBerry or webOS), and it works just as well.

I heard that Microsoft now has a little over 1 percent of the phone market. That is remarkable.

Stock holders must be thrilled that the amount of money spent has returned these results.

Guest said:
I heard that Microsoft now has a little over 1 percent of the phone market. That is remarkable.

Stock holders must be thrilled that the amount of money spent has returned these results.

It's an investment, it will take a while to see results and that is expected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the expected time to see a return on an investment 5 years? What they should be doing at this point is paying developers to make apps for their OS.

+1 yRaz
IMO they need to accelerate OS development as well, from the three contenders for mobile space (I no longer believe that RIM will be a viable alternative or competitor), WP has best overall feel + responsiveness closely followed by iOS.

By the way Lee, has anyone ever bothered to analyze how much crap-ware is available in all market places?

Guest said:

WP has been out for about a year. Normal phone contracts with carriers are two years long. We should give WP more time to prove itself. I am an Android user and have been waiting to jump on WP at the right moment. Android is great but it is way too fragmented. The very thing that makes Android popular among carriers (customization) is going to take them down too. For example, Samsung never care to update Galaxy S (1st gen) and I am stuck with Android 2.1 until my contract is up. As a result, I have not been able to use many apps since my phone was only a few months old. Never again.

And please don't tell me how I can root my phone. Why should I have to?

Guest said:

WP has been out for about a year. Normal phone contracts with carriers are two years long. We should give WP more time to prove itself. I am an Android user and have been waiting to jump on WP at the right moment. Android is great but it is way too fragmented. The very thing that makes Android popular among carriers (customization) is going to take them down too. For example, Samsung never care to update Galaxy S (1st gen) and I am stuck with Android 2.1 until my contract is up. As a result, I have not been able to use many apps since my phone was only a few months old. Never again.

And please don't tell me how I can root my phone. Why should I have to?

Back