Windows Phone sales up thanks in part to BlackBerry's decline

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft isn’t exactly close to surpassing Android or iOS in terms of smartphone sales but they are gaining ground thanks largely in part to BlackBerry’s recent downfall. According to recent data published by analytics firm Kantar, Windows Phone claimed 4.1 percent of all smartphone sales in the US during the three month period ending in February. That’s up 1.4 percent over the same period a year ago.

For comparison, BlackBerry (formerly RIM) sold 3.6 percent of all smartphones in the US a year ago compared to just 0.7 percent during the most recent period. Symbian dropped from 0.5 percent to 0.1 percent although that’s really irrelevant as there’s virtually no hope for that OS to be a major contender in the US. Sales of all others decreased from 0.8 percent to 0.4 percent, Kantar noted.

windows phone blackberry symbian microsoft symbain

Speaking of the top two operating systems, Android continues to inch ahead of iOS. Google’s mobile operating system was responsible for 51.2 percent of all smartphone sales – an increase of 5.8 percent from a year ago. Apple is still holding strong at 43.5 percent but that’s down 3.5 percent from the same time last year.

windows phone blackberry symbian microsoft symbain

In related news, Verizon Wireless remains the top carrier as they sold 35 percent of all smartphones ending February 2013. AT&T held on to the silver medal with 26.7 percent while Sprint claimed third place with 15 percent of all sales. T-Mobile continues to lag behind with just 9.8 percent although recent deals and the fact that the company is finally getting the iPhone may soon help boost their smartphone sales.

Permalink to story.

Blackberry had one shot and they blew it. The new UI is like some crippled half-breed of WP8 and iOS. Unless they add a virtual trackpad to BB10 and *seriously* rethink the clumsy "flow" system, their done for. Every other OS has a "home" button for the same reason Blackberry always did - because its impossible to replace it successfully with gestures.

I really had high hopes for windows phone, but after learning that I can't even specify my own IP address with a manual configuration for the wireless (which is required at a few of the businesses I work for) I simply cannot understand how anyone would want to use it.

I really had high hopes for windows phone, but after learning that I can't even specify my own IP address with a manual configuration for the wireless (which is required at a few of the businesses I work for) I simply cannot understand how anyone would want to use it.
I dont think MS's focus is enterprise really. They see more opportunity in the consumer sector. I agree with psycros. The OS is already dated. If it was released 2 years back, BB will be alive and well now.

Yes, that is a breaking issue to 90% of potential buyers. How could anyone consider buying a smartphone which can not specify a static IP?.

Yes, that is a breaking issue to 90% of potential buyers. How could anyone consider buying a smartphone which can not specify a static IP?.

many large businesses and corporations provide a smartphone for their employees. For those businesses security is a large concern. This prevents windows phone from being a candidate and could mean tens of thousands of sales.

I challenge you to go to your local Mall and ask 50 people to tell you how to access ipconfig on their PC, let alone how to change their IP address on their smartphone. There are many reasons why Windows Phone may not succeed, and I assure you this isn't one of them.

They should give you the option to but, this is not a majority issue.

Blackberry had one shot and they blew it. The new UI is like some crippled half-breed of WP8 and iOS. Unless they add a virtual trackpad to BB10 and *seriously* rethink the clumsy "flow" system, their done for. Every other OS has a "home" button for the same reason Blackberry always did - because its impossible to replace it successfully with gestures.
Again, I disagree with most of what you said. I love the swipe instead of the home button.
But yeah, some things need to be polished and smoothed out. However, that's to be expected with a new OS...

Really?! I swear on my nokia 610 (win 7.5) I've managed it?

I could be wrong as it was a while ago I was looking into it, just food for thought though their are ways around it, if a company thats big enough to require your phone to have a static IP, surely all they need is the MAC address and add a reserved IP for it in DHCP? Of course, it depends on the network setup how feasible that would be but still, you probably could get around it.

I would get a Windows Phone if the app eco system was more developed. Yes, there is an incentive for developers in that Windows is a massive OS and it is gonna succeed automatically. But it is just not at that point yet. The reason I bought an iPhone was only for the looks and the app ecosystem.

I dunno. Making gestures at my phone (the middle finger) helps me feel better and it seems to work sometimes.

I would get a Windows Phone if the app eco system was more developed. Yes, there is an incentive for developers in that Windows is a massive OS and it is gonna succeed automatically. But it is just not at that point yet. The reason I bought an iPhone was only for the looks and the app ecosystem.
You wasted your money on an iPhone for it's looks & eco system??? Man... Bummer. My condolences. Once you settle down from that rush of blood to the head you'll no doubt find consolation in the arms of an Android next time round. We're all human after.

You wasted your money on an iPhone for it's looks & eco system??? Man... Bummer. My condolences. Once you settle down from that rush of blood to the head you'll no doubt find consolation in the arms of an Android next time round. We're all human after.

I think you meant to say we're all robots that look and act like human beings*

I have had it for 8 months now and I really enjoy it. I may move to Android though.

If you do you'll thank me.

It really isn't better, at all, both have their plus's and minuses, it all depends on what you prefer, I am currently using a Sony Xperia with the latest Android on and I really like it, I like being able to use Firefox etc...

But iPhone's are just easier to use in my opinion, so I still miss my iPhone.

Have to admit Android is much better in the value department, I picked up this phone for £100 and I've been blown away with how well it runs and its capability's.

But if I had the money, I would move back to an iPhone, luckily for Android, I don't :p

It really isn't better, at all, both have their plus's and minuses, it all depends on what you prefer, I am currently using a Sony Xperia with the latest Android on and I really like it, I like being able to use Firefox etc...

But iPhone's are just easier to use in my opinion, so I still miss my iPhone.

Have to admit Android is much better in the value department, I picked up this phone for £100 and I've been blown away with how well it runs and its capability's.

But if I had the money, I would move back to an iPhone, luckily for Android, I don't :p
I was just teasing JC713. Honestly there's nothing wrong with Apple hardware (cost notwithstanding). It's the company itself I despise. If you good folk are happy with you Apple purchases then I'm happy too.

I agree with you 100%. The company is screwed up in many ways. But their products are premium, and that is why I like them. (Macs are garbage though :p)

Back