TechSpot

Windows Phone wins 5.6 percent of U.S. smartphone sales

By Archean
Jun 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Good to know. I hope they keep growing since Android and iOS have no competition really.

2. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 6,056   +76

+1
    Well I am thinking about finally getting rid of S3 and getting an iPhone instead to go along with my 920. Since, getting 920 I hardly ever use S3, even IF I do, it is mostly for trying out new ROMs, which is kind of getting boring now.

3. JC713

The problem with Windows Phone 8 is the app eco system, but it is slowly growing. I think WP8 will gain a lot of popularity this year since a lot of people dont like iOS7's killing of skeuomorphism. iOS 7 looks a bit childish and Windows Phone seems more professional.

4. Archean

I guess with most of the top apps now available in WP store, and alternatives for many others, it isn't a big issue at all. For example, for instagram, Instance is a brilliant replacement. Other main apps I needed, was Skype+Viber, twitter etc. are all available on WP. Only thing which is missing in WP store (and I occasionally used on S3) is Flipboard, but there are few good free + paid alternatives. So all in all, it isn't that bad any more.

5. JC713

Developers are taking WP more seriously now. Is it easy to port apps from one OS to another? I knew it is very easy to port apps from Android to BB10, that is why it is growing so quick.

6. Archean

I remember somewhere that MS was designing some sort of API tool to help android developers port their apps to Windows Phone. However, since, they are totally different beasts (architecturally speaking), I am not sure there is a direct way to port apps. Does it matter? I think not beyond a certain point.

Beside, I always believe, that having a bigger pile of sh** doesn't mean much. TBH, in Play store there is lots of that, along with lots of nasty malware to go with.

One thing which I haven't been able to put my finger on, is why on earth android slows down over time, whereas, WP or even iOS devices doesn't do that. I have been trying to crash or slowdown my 920 with pointless app installations/un-installations but so far I've failed to do so. I'll try the same on iPhone 5 soon as well ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.