Windows protection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubluluder93

So I was having trouble with my hard drive in my Dell Dimension 8200, and swapped in another hard drive to see if the original was flunking. Unfortunately the only other hard drive I have at hand is from a compaq Presario 4824 that is still running Windows 95.
The first time I started it, I get a Windows protection error while initializing device NTKERN. The second time I started it in safe mode I had a windows protection error while initializing device IOS. My Dell runs at 1.8 Ghz, is it just a clocking issue?

After looking at the bootleg file, there were three devices that failed to load- setver.exe, ndis2sup.vxd, and lcd.ttf.

The drive from the Compaq, will have all the drivers and hardware set up for the Compaq and won`t work in the Dell, without first being formatted.

Regards Howard :)

I must admit, from looking at your other thread. I suspect a failed hard drive or a faulty IDE cable.

Did you run a drive diagnostic utility on your original hard drive? If not, take a look HERE.

That should be able to tell you if you have a hard drive failure.

Another thing you might want to try, is changing the IDE cable.

As I said, the drive from the Compaq isn`t going to work in the Dell without being formatted.

This is a strange one and no mistake. I`m not sure what the problem is.

Maybe backup your important data and reformat the drive.

It`s the only thing I can think of that might work.

If that doesn`t help, then it has to be some kind of hardware problem.

I had tried earlier to reformat using the windows cd, but it wouldn't work. anyway, i got my hands on another hard drive, and windows has installed itself on there, no problems yet. i was wondering how to go about retrieving data from the old drive? i've been looking into master/slave, but not quite getting it.

On the rear of the hard drive is a set of jumpers. Also on the hard drive is a diagram that shows the various position the jumpers can be set to obtain master/slave/cable select etc.

Your main hard drive should be set as master and connected to the end of the ide cable on your primary ide channel. You can then add your old hard drive as a slave drive by setting it`s jumper according to the diagram on the drive to the slave position and connecting it to the same ide cable as your main drive. You would connect it to the ide cables connector that is part way down the ide cable.

When you then boot your system, it should be recognised and be visible in my computer. You should then be able to retrieve your important data off of the slave drive.

If you receive a message telling you that access is denied, you will need to take ownership of the files. See HERE for more info.

So I changed the jumpers accordingly and wired the new drive up as master, and the old one as slave, yet I still get the same ntfs.sys error when I try to start windows. if i take out the bad one, everything works fine

In that case, I must conclude that it`s a problem with the hard drive.

Maybe other members will have different ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back