TechSpot

Windows Remote Desktop & laptop questions

By TopTop18
Apr 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

In the near future I'm going to university. For that I'll need a laptop, but I have a very small budget.
    So I was looking at the possibilities and stumbled upon the possibilities of a remote desktop connection. But I'm not sure if this will work and I can;t find enough information about it on the net.
    I got an awesome desktop at home, but if I make a remote connection to that computer from a cheap, crappy, laptop, would the connection then use the resources at the home computer or do I still need a good laptop for such a connection to work? And is there huge lag with a remote connection or is this not that bad?
    The internet speed is no problem as I've got a glassfibre copnenction at both the university and at home with speeds around 100 and 200 mbps.

Hope you guys can help me!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Remote desktop is not meant for that purpose. It is meant for technicians at a remote site work with a computer in another location to diagnose a problem

3. TopTop18

TopTop18 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

I know it's not meant for that purpose, but i want to know if I can use it like that ;)

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Accessing your home computer like that would be very clumsy and slow. If you insist, try it from a friends computer first