Windows screen goes black

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulja234

Ok so heres what happends:

-Push power button.
-hp screen comes up (F1-boot menu, F8-setup ect...)
-I let that load, and the black screen says load windows normally or last know good configuration (because i guess i shut down wrong. (always happens when I hold down the power button to shut off).. Either one i choose I get the windows loading screen and then the screen goes black. Ive left it for at least 30 min and it just stays black.
-Ive also booted it in safe mode. When I boot in safe mode all those checks, I guess they are, before safe mode actually loads up- (heres an example of one : multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partitions(2)\windows\system32\Drivers\Mup.sys) <--is the last one it checks(?) and then it stops and nothing else happends, its just stays on that screen.

Any help would be great.
-I really hope I don't have to go out and buy a recovery disk....=(

Oh and ps...I think I have windows xp Service pack 1 or 2 I don't remember.

Your windows installation is corrupted - possibly by never letting the thing shut down properly.
If you need to recover data, take out the hard drive and fit it into another PC and copy your files across.
Best chance of recovering it is to reboot with the windows CD installed and force a boot from the CD. Select install Windows (do not attempt to repair using the reocovery console) and follow instructions until you are offered the option to repair the windows installation. Accept this one and follow instructions. This will replace all the windows files in theory without damage to any other files or settings - most times it will work.
Always close the system down using the Start button in future.

Damn it.

Its not like every time i shut my pc down i hold the power button down. I actually really leave it on most of the time , and really only restart it when needed. I don't understand how this happend when I only held the power down once (My pc froze) This pc is like 4 years old I wouldnt have a clue where the disks are =( Stupid pc...

Like i can boot it with cmd prompt are there any commands i can enter in to check if theres some kind of error of maybe fix the problem?

omg nvm.... Its boot in safe mode with command prompt..and it still isnt getting passed that ''check'' crap i explained earlier .. I think im just gunna download a cracked version of xp..

If your Windows sticker is on the PC case you don't need a cracked version - you have a legit copy anyway.
In any event, this forum does not condone the use of illegal copies of software.
If it will not boot past mup.sys then you really have no option but to boot from a windows install CD.

The problem is I dont have a windows installation CD. Is is possible to download like a windows xp recovery disk? Or is it possible to download a copy of XP since I have a legit key?

All you need is an install CD for the right edition of XP ( Home for Home, Prof for Prof, etc) If you have an activation code stuck to your PC you can borrow one from a neighbour if necessary. I do not recommend downloading one and then trying to make a bootable CD to install as it is unlikely to be reliable,

Ok, well My friend Just recently got one of thoes errors like NTLR is missing or somthing like that so he called HP and they sent him a disk for windows home edition. (I believe mine is hime edition too because we have the same model pc and we got them almost at the same time.) Would he have received a windows cd disk or some type or recovery disk? and if so would I be able to use it?

It should work but some HP install CDs will only work on HP machines. Best get hold of an ordinary one if you can. Give it a try by all means!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back