Windows Security Center "off"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickM

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.
About three weeks ago I pulrchased a new laptop running "Windows Vista Home Premium".
In January I renewed my sucscription online for Norton Sysytem Works 2009version 12.0.0.52 which included Norton AntiVirus.
After installation I checked for the usual updates and everything was said and done.
For the past week I have been noticing an icon at the bottom in my system tray near the clock. Every time I turn my computer on the icon (a red shield with a cross) designates to check my security settings.
I click on the icon to see what the problem is and I see a window that states "Windows Security Center" is turned OFF.
To the right there is a button that indicates [Turn on now]
I click on the button to turn it on and it states "The Security Service Center Can't Be Started"
I can not find any settings to see what is going on to try to correct things "Nothing".
I called the Geek Squad at Best Buy and I am told Norton System Works is not compatable with the Vista O.S.
I checked the internet and obtained information that Norton System Works Version 12is
compatable in both 32 and 64 bit. I have versioin 12.0.0.52
I am thinking that Norton System Works or AntiVirus has turned Windows Security Center OFF which is the only thing I can think of that may be the cause of the ongoing problem of a possible security malfunction.
Could one of you "Pro's" fill me in on what is going on or what I need to do??
Any information will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Rick

Norton System Works isn't much good... it has been a crippled, difficult install version for nearly a year... they claim to be fixing it. But I suggest you try Avira Antivir... it is a heck of a lot better, and the first three or four months are free.
If you have a LOT of patience, you can call Symantec tech support... if you get your subscription information off the HELP section of Norton... and they will eventually help you. If you are a Government employee or an employee of a big business with lots of purchases, Symantec will help you by phone in the day time.
In my unhumble opinion, neither Norton-Symantec, McAfee, Computer Associates, Panda, or other antivirus that are mass marketed are any good when it comes to new infestations... After the word is out on the bad stuff, they get caught up and block the evildoers... but they are not the first to find or report them.

I am not much a fan of Vista but if the security center is similar to XP's you can choose security center to not notify you (by the red shield icon on the takbar). In XP you can go control panel/security center, when the security center display page appears there is a link to the left asking if you want to change the way security center alerts you, click it and there will be 3 things listed (at least on XP) Automatic update, anti virus, and firewall. By default all 3 will be checked, just de-select the ones you don't want to be notified by and away you go. I personally turn all these off just (because they annoy me).

If you truly feel that the version of norton you have doesn't function correctly with Vista you could always install avast! free home edition which is a fantastic alternative to purchasing anti-virus/security suites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back