Windows Server 2003 Enterprise... More than 2 remote desktop sessions?

pyromaster114

Okay, so I have here a server that has Windows Server 2003 Enterprise (R2 SP2) on it.

It will currently only let us have 2 remote desktop sessions at a time. How do I make it allow more? (Preferably at least 5 or 10...)

I have been beating my head against the wall (literally almost...) for several hours now... and have gotten no where. I don't understand this, as I have never had to deal with this aspect of windows server 2003 before.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I believe you need to switch to Terminal Services licensing to be able to have more than two active connection. Have you considered using something like TightVNC instead?

What exactly are you doing that requires 5 to 10 people to be connected to a server using RDP.

Don't forget that you can also take over the console by adding /admin to your mstsc connection string - that'll give you a "fake" third, as long as no one is actually sitting in front of that bad boy. JMMD hit it on the head though, you'll need TS licenses.

I activated Terminal Services...

However, it still won't let me have any more than 2 people connected.

I did it wrong obviously... can anyone point me in the direction of some instructions on how to correctly switch to terminal services?

How many TS CALs did you purchase? Did you install them using Terminal Server Licensing in Administrative Tools?

I feel very dumb right now... because I do not believe we have any additional licenses...

Where would I get them? How would I install them?

Thank you guys very much for your help, I have managed (by some strange means... not quite sure how...) to make the server accept multiple remote desktop clients, I've tested it up to 5 people and it appears to be working.

I had enabled terminal services, but it still wasn't working.
I enabled the terminal service licensing and it started working.
I guess this means that the terminal service licensing was activated, but just not enabled. (Why this would happen, I'm really not sure... but it's working so I'm not going to complain.)

Back