Windows Server 2008 R2 vs Windows 7 HP?

Teh Snowman

Hi all,

I'm going to be building a new system soon and I've pretty much got all the hardware I want, now I need to choose which OS(s) to use.

Now I'm currently a college student and have access to Microsoft Dreamspark where I can download Windows Server 2008 R2 for free. So I've been doing some research and found this site: http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/. WS 2008 and W7 seem very similar once you put a few changes in. But I've got a few things troubling me...

• SSD support. I know W7 supports SSDs so I assume WS 2008 does also, but not 100% sure.
  • Drivers. Will most W7 drivers work with WS 2008 or will they be a pain to find?
  • Game support/performance (I'll be using this machine for a lot of gaming) Not sure if I'll be able to install all the games I'd like. On the WS 2008 website they have some tweaks that should help performance, but I'm still wary...
Would saving the extra $100 be worth it to use WS 2008 or should I just shell out for W7?

I'd really appreciate any advice, comments, concerns, etc. that anyone is willing to share. Thank you! :)

If you have a .edu email address you can probably get 7 Pro for cheaper than $100. I don't think it is $30 anymore, but its probably under $100.

I tried to get Server 2008 on an older PC and used that link. The link is pretty good and will get you a pretty decent Windows 7 like computer. But you may have problems with printers, hard drive tools (like defrag), and AV software because there just aren't free alternatives for a windows server OS.

Back