Windows services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BMfan

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before.
I was wondering if anybody knows of a site that can guide me in stopping windows services that aren't needed.
I know the basic programs i can stop but would like to see how far i can go,so far i have been able to get windows 7 ultimate down to about 850mb.
My current os is Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Hi, I would say that what your looking to do is ultimately free up some ram and eliminate slow processes to speed up your pc. Possibly for gaming ect. The best most in depth guide i have found you can check out here http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
This guide is for xp and vista but the services should be similar to the services found in vista. I would recommend turning off the services listed in that guide since i have not played with the windows 7 services yet.

Hope you have a nice day and a speedy pc.
Cougar

Thanx,that's what i am looking for because it also has a description of each service aswell.

In addition, i recommend a tool like Serviwin to help with the tweaking.
1) Run it initially to export all your current services and their settings and save to a file (so you know where you started from!)
2) Then you can use it to view/change things as you tweak
3) I also (personally) just find its interface, and data display just much easier to work with then the native Windows interface to services.msc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back