windows setup cannot find installed HD

By swanton
Aug 5, 2006
  1. my desktop is Dell Dimension 8400. I replaced the SATA with a new one (seagate). The computer recognised the HD in both BIOS and chkdisk. I partitioned it to 2 NTFS parts, and set the primary active (used PQMAGIC, a very old version back to year 2000). Then I run boot from CDROM, and windows setup showed "SETUP DID NOT FIND ANY HARD DISK INSTALLED IN YOUR COMPUTER. ... SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE, PRESS F3 TO QUIT SETUP".

I don't know how many times I have got this message. Can anyone help me please. Thanks a lot.
  2. Rathgar

Rathgar TS Rookie

Have you tried copying the Sata disk drivers to a floppy/cd and pressing F6 just after the setup starts... remember that windows needs this extra drivers to "see" the disk.

I can't vouch for chkdsk, but the Bios would see the disk regardless if it could access it or not.
  3. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 128

most mobo manf. give you the drivers on the setup disk and you need a working computer withe windows to make a floppy with the sata drivers ibleive you are looking for a file name ***setup.oem i forgot the first part. occanally a company will give you a floppy with the driver already on it. like rathgar said in the beging when the first blue loading screed comes up press f6 alot and setup will continue untill i need the driver then it will ask you for the disk. its easy from there.
  4. swanton

swanton TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanx both for the replies. I installed the sata driver (from seagate), but windows setup still cannot find the hdd. I then upgraded the bios version to A08, didnt work either. What should I do now? Am I rite that the sata driver formats the hdd?
  5. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

mine did not format the drive
    seagate 160gb sata 150
    check your bios for boot order may not be config right
    may need a raid setup manual should tell
    if you have a ide drive installed remove it
  6. swanton

swanton TS Rookie Topic Starter

rite seagate 160gb, sata.
    what should i change the boot order to?
    what change do i need for raid setup?
    i dont have ide hdd.
  7. wallabing

wallabing TS Rookie Posts: 69

8. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

my system is special developers MB my bios settings don't apply to yours
    you have to check with the MB manufactor for manual on bios config
    there are normaly 2 places that adjust this boot order and hard drive priority
  9. paulbr

paulbr TS Rookie

hi all i am new to this
    my ibm laptop crashed and know wont boot it keeps saying there is no hard drive and wont go any where

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.