TechSpot

Windows setup unable to format partition

By lukin36
Jun 17, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a Gateway 7426GX laptop computer, and I have been having difficulties getting windows to install.
    Whenever I attempt the installation it seems that everything is in worked order until it asks me which partition to install windows on. When I try to create a new partition it freezes, but when I restart the computer it shows that the partition exists. When i go to install Xp home on that partition it asks me which way to format (Quick or not), and when I choose either option it shows the percentage bar, but it never makes it past 0%. Now as i write this it seems even a step before that when it is loading information from setupp.ini.

I wasn't sure to post this in the os forum or hardware forum. I chose this forum because in my bios it is showing my HD(Hard drive- ST9100825A, and it is set as he primary maser) , so i thought it may be a conflict with windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi

Sounds like a stuffed Hard Drive, from the model number id say its a a Seagate, if so go here and download the test tool for it.

If its not a seagate then just google the make and look for the relevant test tool.

regards
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.