Windows shows different CPU frequency than CPU-Z/BIOS

By Marty9231
Aug 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Well, the title sums it up really...

I OC'ed my AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE to it's 16x multiplier, at a comfy 3.2 GHz, just to test things and familiarize myself with it's voltages. After I set the thing to 16x and rebooted, I checked windows to see if it actually showed 3200 MHz, but it didn't. I then ran CPU-Z and Core Temp, both of which showed exactly 3200 MHz and a 16x multiplier.

My question: Is this just a bug in windows and is my CPU actually 3,2 GHz, or is there something else going on?

The fact that CPU-Z shows higher, changing, voltages (BIOS Core Voltage is set to 'Auto') means to me that windows is doing it wrong. But I might be completely mistaking.

Also, on a sidenote, I wondered if the popular 'Can You Run It' webservice shows realtime CPU clock speed, or just the stock value. Because it's showing the stock value for me, but I thought it might just be getting that from where windows is getting it (the wrong location I hope that is).

Any assistance on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Marty9231
  2. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 552   +9

CPU-Z is more accurate then windows with these things, i would say if both it and the bios says you have then windows isn't reading it properly
  3. SKYSTAR

SKYSTAR TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 250

Dont worry it is normal your cpu is running at 3200 mhz
  4. thesnappyfinger

thesnappyfinger Newcomer, in training

"can you run it" does not show your overclocked speed nor does widows experience. CPU-Z is more accurate.
  5. Marty9231

Marty9231 TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 200

Allright, that's clear, thanks for replying everyone!
  6. DKRON

DKRON TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 552   +9

all good, good luck with it

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.