Windows shows different CPU frequency than CPU-Z/BIOS

Marty9231

Well, the title sums it up really...

I OC'ed my AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE to it's 16x multiplier, at a comfy 3.2 GHz, just to test things and familiarize myself with it's voltages. After I set the thing to 16x and rebooted, I checked windows to see if it actually showed 3200 MHz, but it didn't. I then ran CPU-Z and Core Temp, both of which showed exactly 3200 MHz and a 16x multiplier.

My question: Is this just a bug in windows and is my CPU actually 3,2 GHz, or is there something else going on?

The fact that CPU-Z shows higher, changing, voltages (BIOS Core Voltage is set to 'Auto') means to me that windows is doing it wrong. But I might be completely mistaking.

Also, on a sidenote, I wondered if the popular 'Can You Run It' webservice shows realtime CPU clock speed, or just the stock value. Because it's showing the stock value for me, but I thought it might just be getting that from where windows is getting it (the wrong location I hope that is).

Any assistance on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Marty9231

CPU-Z is more accurate then windows with these things, i would say if both it and the bios says you have then windows isn't reading it properly

Back