Windows shutdown and failed booting

Status
Not open for further replies.
my computer shut down automatically while I was watching a movie.Restarting the computer, shows no sign on the screen but CPU fan is working as usual and loading of DVD drive and booting doesnot occur while PC LED is on. In other words just CPU fan works while rest is dead. The power led on the CDRom is also off. Yesterday, I was not able to shut down my computer using power buttom on the front panel, the switch on the back of power supply was the only option. While I can log off or go to sleep mode but shut down function did not work. I also checked all the connections and cleared BIOS but no use. Another important observation is that immeditely after its automatic shutting down, I restarted and on the screen it was stated that CPU speed was changed and I was asked to press esc or F1 to continue, i pressed F1 and therafter, i could do nothing, no matter even i cleared BIOS. I cannot figure out the reason. any suggestions?

Rather looks like motherboard damage, or at least corrupt cmos bios. You imply you can get into the bios, in which case, set the default (or optimal) settings usually available on each page. On the pages dealing with hardware, check the decriptions match your known hardware.

Are you sure it is the CPU fan, and not the power supply fan ? If it turns out to be the power supply fan that is running, then you may only be looking at power supply replacement. If you have a simple multimeter, switch on the PC, and check the voltage across any of the loose connectors for peripherals (four pin blocks that go into hard drives for example). There should be 5.0 volts on there.

If you have no volts, swap out the power supply or get a friendly computer guy to test it for you. Mind you, if the motherboard has gone to the great junkyard in the sky, there may also be no power, because the motherboard has to send a signal to the power box to turn on. There are very simple power supply test kits that provide this signal and can test the power supply in isolation: any repair shop has these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back