Windows start up problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need help. When I turn on my computer this screen comes up:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Last known good configuration
Last known good configuration with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

If I pick (Safe Mode), the screen runs a bunch of command lines and freezes and does nothing.

If I pick (Last known good configuration or Last known good configuration with Command Prompt), the screen goes to the Windows logo splash and then the screen turns black and the computer does nothing as if it has been turned off.

Can you help???

Did you do Safe Mode without Network? Just try the plain jane Safe Mode.

Try: 1 Safe Mode
Try: Last Know Good

If it still doesn't work then OS is history you'll have to delete OS, re-format the HDD and then install a fresh copy of XP.

Not necessarily, the problem could be hardware.
I would check your HD and RAM first.
HD Test - RAM Test
If it passes you can try a repair install of XP.
If that fails, then wipe/reload is the only way to go.

Changes in hardware can cause the OS to get corrupted if not shutdown correctly. Or running a defrag on the HDD and while its still working then you try to turn off the system can cause the data to get lost. I've seen this happen before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back