Windows stop error 0x0000007E 3-5 secs in windows logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

guanin

I woke up this morning, turned my other laptop, only to see it have a BSOD 3-5 secs after the windows loading logo right before user selection appears. I haven't done any hardware changes at all, and I did not upgrade from a previous windows version either. I've been using that laptop for 8 months straight without running into any problems, but when other people used it, within a month, this showed up.

I can't even check the specs of that laptop because i can't log in to windows anymore. the only specs i remember:

it's a neo m54r laptop
a dual core intel centrino (i forgot the ghz number)
a gig of ram
running on windows xp sp 3

the only thing listed under the technical information in the BSOD is:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x8069B1C7, 0xBA4CF534, 0xBA4CF230)

i've tried the last known good conifguration option, still BSOD.
i've tried booting to safe mode, still BSOD.

can anyone help? i'm begging, please.

Your error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

As you can see it can be almost anything. Corrupted memory can be a cause of the issues you are experiencing. At this point run Memtest on your RAM. It is free, safe, and will engage at boot up.

See this link and follow the instructions: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

Your error is 0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

As you can see it can be almost anything. Corrupted memory can be a cause of the issues you are experiencing. At this point run Memtest on your RAM. It is free, safe, and will engage at boot up.

See this link and follow the instructions:

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

i did not see SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLE in the error message.

and how am i going to run a memtest? as i've said, i can't even log in to windows. and about taking out the ram sticks, i'm not sure i can exactly do that, as i don't know how to take out a ram stick from a laptop, i've never even open a laptop system cover once.

First, that is the title of the 0x7E error code as per Microsoft along with the definition of what the error is.

Second, Memtest starts right after boot-up long before the Windows can even load. Just make sure your DVD/CD drive is first bootable in the BIOS and that the CD that has Memtest on it is in the drive at boot-up. It will take over.

is it fine if i perform the memtest without taking out one of the rams? (i don't even know if the rams the laptop are using are two 512mb rams or a single 1gb ram...)

***edit: nevermind that, it must be a single 1 gb ram stick. i'm doing the memtest tonight before going to sleep.

i'm on the 6th pass, and planning to continue for 10 more hours. no errors detected. i don't this is anything hardware related though, i've been using that laptop for 8 mos. without any hitch, and i didn't change any hardware.

When you are finished give us the results. If no errors then attach your five latest minidumps in your next post.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Sorry; I forgot. Is your laptop still under warrenty?

no i don't think so. even if it had, i can't return it since the seller is halfway around the world. lol. anyways i don't think i can take off the cover and tinker with the laptop's hardware yet.

is there a bootable file manager just like memtest that boots before windows so i can see and copy the files inside the hardrive to a usb?

Hi guanin, I have conferred with B00kWyrm+ and we feel your next best bet is to utilize the Ultimate Boot disk. Here is the link found at TechSpot: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic123957.html

There are many various tools for all types of situations. It works like Memtest in that it will engage at boot-up. You'll want to use one of the file management tools on the disk in order to explore your Minidump directory, find your minidump files and copy to a flash drive, then attach those dumps to your next post.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

The purpose for the minidumps is to find the cause of your BSODs and the repair will depend on what we find there.

I used UBCD but unluckily, I ran to some issues. Here they are:

First, when I boot with a flash drive inserted into a usb socket, FileMaven, or any other DOS-based program for that matter, fails to load and gets stuck at "InitDisk, Invalid Opcode".

Second, when I boot without the flash drive, the programs load successfully, but can't seem to detect my hard drives or the usb after i put it in the usb socket after the programs load. The only drives it can detect is: A:. which is supposed to be a diskette drive but i don't understand why the program detects it because the laptop doesnt have any diskette drives. There's also a drive B:, which I dont even know where it came from, it's definitely not a hard drive. A drive Q:, which I also don't know what it is. The final drives detected are the drives U and T, they have the same content, which I think is the directory of the UBCD boot disk.

The only way I can access the drives is through the "Active NTFS Reader for DOS v1.0.1", but it can't detect the flash drive to complete the transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back