TechSpot

Windows STOP error, can't boot

By NH471
Mar 18, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm working on a laptop that is continuously restarting after getting a STOP error message, and safe mode doesn't work. Here are the exact parameters:

0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x805549ca, 0xf7b32208, 0xf7b31f08)

I'm working on this for a family member, and he told me he had just updated Windows when this whole mess began. He said he upgraded to SP3, which isn't out yet as far as I know, then it just started giving this error message.

I looked up "0x0000007e" on aumha.org and it didn't list this particular message, and all other similar ones required I be able to log on in safe mode.

I can access the Windows Recovery Console, but I tried CHKDSK and that didn't help either.

If I reinstall Windows will I be able to save my old files? They're very important, and losing them would be a tremendous setback. I'm going to continue searching for solutions, but if anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate it.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.