TechSpot

Windows stuck on loading screen

By skrilla
Mar 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, first off I just want to say I don't know too much about computers, so if you have a response please tell me in detail. Thank you.

i've been having this problem for a couple days now. I believe the reason why it went out was because I downloaded and installed a new motherboard driver. Tried to restart, and now it won't pass the Winxp load screen. I've been doing some searching on the forum and tried a few solutions but nothing seems to work.

I booted the Windows XP cd, went to repair, and typed fixboot and then fixmbr. After that I restarted but i'm still having the same problem. I've also tried booting in Safe Mode, safe mode with networking, command prompt, and last known config. Another thing i tried to do was I took apart everything inside my computer to see if anything was loose or dusty.

Any more ideas? I think maybe they're might be a problem with overheating, but I have no idea what a "normal" temperature might be. Please give me an idea then I will check mine and get back to you.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

My specs: (Had it custom built about 7-8 years ago.)
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    2x 512MB.. Xenon? not 100% sure.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. skrilla

skrilla Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to give an update my computer has been on the WinXP loading screen for about 30 minutes, and I went to check on it and it was on the desktop. That weirds me out now how could it all of a sudden after 30 minutes of loading it works? For some reason I couldnt move my mouse/keyboard so I restarted and now its stuck again. wtf?

Just checked and the temperature seems very high.

MB Temp - 69 F
    CPU Temp - 117 F

Another thing why it might be overheating is about a week ago I was playing a Battlefield 2142 demo, and right when the game would open my computer would restart. Happened everytime except once it worked for about 30 minutes.

Also I tried the checkdisk thing and it wouldn't recognize chkdsk C: /f Only could do chkdsk and it said nothing is wrong.
  4. skrilla

Still not working.. any ideas?
  5. kimsland

Only the precise answer I already supplied above ;)
    You probably have some Partition fault anyway
  6. skrilla

chkdsk /p said it found one or more errors on the volume.

Currently chkdsk /r is running and is taking a very long time. Been running for about 30 minutes and It's at 69%. chkdsk /p took only about a minute.

Is there any way of figuring out what that error might be?
  7. kimsland

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.