Windows stuck on loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first off I just want to say I don't know too much about computers, so if you have a response please tell me in detail. Thank you.

i've been having this problem for a couple days now. I believe the reason why it went out was because I downloaded and installed a new motherboard driver. Tried to restart, and now it won't pass the Winxp load screen. I've been doing some searching on the forum and tried a few solutions but nothing seems to work.

I booted the Windows XP cd, went to repair, and typed fixboot and then fixmbr. After that I restarted but i'm still having the same problem. I've also tried booting in Safe Mode, safe mode with networking, command prompt, and last known config. Another thing i tried to do was I took apart everything inside my computer to see if anything was loose or dusty.

Any more ideas? I think maybe they're might be a problem with overheating, but I have no idea what a "normal" temperature might be. Please give me an idea then I will check mine and get back to you.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

My specs: (Had it custom built about 7-8 years ago.)
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB
Thermaltake 430W PSU
2x 512MB.. Xenon? not 100% sure.

Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to give an update my computer has been on the WinXP loading screen for about 30 minutes, and I went to check on it and it was on the desktop. That weirds me out now how could it all of a sudden after 30 minutes of loading it works? For some reason I couldnt move my mouse/keyboard so I restarted and now its stuck again. wtf?

Just checked and the temperature seems very high.

MB Temp - 69 F
CPU Temp - 117 F

Another thing why it might be overheating is about a week ago I was playing a Battlefield 2142 demo, and right when the game would open my computer would restart. Happened everytime except once it worked for about 30 minutes.

Also I tried the checkdisk thing and it wouldn't recognize chkdsk C: /f Only could do chkdsk and it said nothing is wrong.

chkdsk /p said it found one or more errors on the volume.

Currently chkdsk /r is running and is taking a very long time. Been running for about 30 minutes and It's at 69%. chkdsk /p took only about a minute.

Is there any way of figuring out what that error might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back