Windows\system32\config\system + BSOD. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I'm about to lose my mind here and after Googling for answers, found this board.

I'm hoping somebody can help me with this.

My desktop has been running XP more or less fine for 3 years.

I recently added a second router for VoIP with Vonage. I had been using on Linksys router from them, but needed to add 2 more phone numbers, so they sent me a new Motorola router. All of this goes to a wireless router, connecting my 2 other laptops.

Since adding the new Motorola router, I can't boot my XP PC. I am getting the windows\system32\config\system error.

I have XP reinstall discs from Dell. I tried running a repair, and it said that a repair could not be completed. Then I tried running a new install, and after hitting F8 to accept the license, and choosing 1 (my only option) for where to reinstall, I get a BSOD.

The BSOD says page_fault_in_nonpaged_area and says to check to make sure hardware and software is properly installed.

Can anybody help? I've been working on this for hours and am about to either cry or throw the PC out the window!

I can follow detailed instructions :)

Many thanks in advance

btw, if it helps, I have another laptop with XP (and one with Vista), the OEM OS discs from Dell, and an easy transfer cable.

If somebody can tell me how to McGuyver it :)

You need to attach your minidumps in your next reply.

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidumps. We need these minidump files, not the whole folder. Attach files to your next posting.

DUH! -me! Sorry, I didn't read it fully. I would start working backwards, i.e., undoing the latest addition and see if that helps and keep working backwoards and see if that helps with stability.

The config\system error solutions are all HERE

Here are the bullet points -

1.Use XP Recovery Console on the XP CD

2.Use a Linux live CD or a Boot utility CD if you can find one.

3.Remove the hard drive,and attach it as slave to another computer.

I can't use recovery console successfully, as it goes to BSOD.

I don't have a Linux live CD

I can't remove the HD as it is a desktop.

As I mentioned,those were just the bullet points from that link -

- Removing a hard drive from a desktop computer is a very common procedure.

See HERE

If you are going to use a laptop to fix/save files from that hard drive,

you will need a USB Enclosure

I suggest you pick the bones out of THIS thread.

- If you want to go the Knoppix (Linux) CD or Bart`s PE CD route,

to try and repair the system as described HERE

you can download them HERE (ISO file) and HERE Both free.

The Knoppix has to be burnt to CD as an ISO file and not a normal data disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back