TechSpot

Windows Update bug renders some Win7 PCs unbootable in Brazil

By Matthew
Apr 11, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. If your computer is running the 32-bit of Windows 7 and you just so happen to be reading this from Brazil, you may want to disable automatic Windows Updates if you haven't already downloaded and installed the latest round of...

Read more

2. So now Microsoft is "really" getting aggressive with the tactics to get people to upgrade to Windows 8. Giving the middle finger to Windows 7 users when they asked about Service Pack 2, adopting a new customer service police of "#dealwithit", and now purposefully breaking Windows 7 machines until consumers become some frustrated with Windows 7 that they wanna upgrade? Too bad nothing in the past worked to get me to even consider upgrading. And this wouldn't either.

kuroiei likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,560   +2,901

If it is a known issue, why place the ball in the consumers hands on disabling Windows Update?

4. ^^ their company, their product, their decision, their choice... vote with your wallet...

jobeard likes this.
  5. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

That is exactly what I am doing. Proud non-owner, non-beta-tester, non-cp-preview user of Windows 8 since it's unholy inception. I'll see whats up when Windows 9 is released. Oh, and they would do themselves a big, BIG, favor by at least giving the "illusion" of having left their latest operating system behind. The idea of keeping the Windows 8 name for life just doesn't seem smart to me. Of course, on the other hand, the changed the Metro UI name, what was it, Modern? LOL. *cough cough*. Square purple boxes is modern, yeah okay. :) Watching Microsoft lately is like watching Lindsay Lohan, people are just waiting to see what *****ic thing they are going to do next.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  6. cliffordcooley

Hahaha LMFAO

7. I've never used "Windows Update" ...
    If I want to update then I do first a system partition backup and then apply a service pack.

Ah, no service pack available then not update, its very simple !!!

Why to be so updated ???

For security ??? Come on, A good free Firewall with a good free Antivirus is enough... and there are a lot of free security software if you need more !!!

Antivirus: Avira, Avast, AVG
    Firewall: Comodo, Zone Alarm, Outpost
    Backup: Easeus Todo Backup, Paragon, Auslogics BitReplica
    Instant Backup: Comodo Time Machine (2.8 stable)
    Scanners: ClamWin, Malwarebytes, TrendMicro House Call & RootkitBuster, ADSScanner
    Monitoring: WinPatrol
    Internet: Spyware Blaster, McAffe SiteAdvisor, AVG Secure Search
    File Protection: Easy File Locker, System Protect, Folder Defence, My Lock Box
    Others: SpyDllRemover, Autorun Eater, Hickjack This, ThreatFire

Windows Update Advice: Don't touch if it Works !!!
    ;)

8. m4a4

m4a4 TS Guru Posts: 752   +273

Just want to point out that the guy no longer works for MS after his "#dealwithit" comment...

cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. Bwaaahaaha Firewall and antivirus will keep your system secure. What a joke. if you don't apply security updates then you are an *****. Attackers have many techniques to circumvent the buggy apps you mentioned. Just because you don't think you have a compromised system doesn't mean that is reality. Back to your cave, Mr aint broke don't fix

Good evening

10. The problem is only with the 32 bits version of Windows 7 and it is linked with a security plugin from Caixa Economica(a brazilian bank). So now it's explained the why the problem it's limited to Brazil.

11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

12. That's not entirely accurate.

64 bits have also been affected and some antivirus programs are going crazy.

Neither of my 3 pcs running w7 64bit have given me any problem, mostly because I prevent unnecessary updates from being installed.

Most is crap, tbh.

13. cliffordcooley

None of my w7 64bit have given me any problem, and they are manually updated fully every so often. I will agree with you that not every update is necessary but that doesn't mean they will brick your system. Your point about not updating as being the reason your PC's are not broken is flawed.