Windows Update bug renders some Win7 PCs unbootable in Brazil

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If your computer is running the 32-bit of Windows 7 and you just so happen to be reading this from Brazil, you may want to disable automatic Windows Updates if you haven't already downloaded and installed the latest round of patches released a couple of days ago. According to a local publication, there's an update in this month's Patch Tuesday that can leave some systems in an infinite reboot loop.

The problem has been linked to KB2823324, which is intended to provide a security tweak for the Windows file system kernel-mode driver (ntfs.sys). It's unclear what is causing the patch to prevent Windows from booting and we're not sure why the issue is limited to Brazil, but that latter bit is straight from the horse's mouth: "The problem is isolated to Brazil and we are working on a solution," Microsoft said.

As noted, disabling automatic Windows Updates for the time being is the painless remedy if your Windows installation hasn't already been killed. You should also be able to manually deselect KB2823324 through the Windows Update software if you don't want to wait for the rest of the patches. Naturally, however, you'll need to put a little more effort into the situation if your machine is caught in the reboot cycle.

windows brazil

The easiest solution is likely to load one of your recent System Restore points -- assuming you actually have System Restore enabled. It's not uncommon to see that feature turned off to conserve storage on PCs with small SSD boot drives. Alternatively, folks around the web have suggested that you can dig in and remove the update through the Command Prompt in Safe Mode with the following text:

DISM.exe / image: C: \ [windows8 install]/ cleanup-image / revertpendingact

G1 spoke with people affected by the issue and apparently they've had mixed results with the available workarounds. One person said reinstalling his operating system was the only way to get back up and running, though it's common for folks to draw that conclusion incorrectly. If System Restore or Safe Mode don't get you running, it's probably best to wait on Microsoft for an official fix if you can wait.

Permalink to story.

So now Microsoft is "really" getting aggressive with the tactics to get people to upgrade to Windows 8. Giving the middle finger to Windows 7 users when they asked about Service Pack 2, adopting a new customer service police of "#dealwithit", and now purposefully breaking Windows 7 machines until consumers become some frustrated with Windows 7 that they wanna upgrade? Too bad nothing in the past worked to get me to even consider upgrading. And this wouldn't either.

As noted, disabling automatic Windows Updates for the time being is the painless remedy if your Windows installation hasn't already been killed.
If it is a known issue, why place the ball in the consumers hands on disabling Windows Update?

^^ their company, their product, their decision, their choice... vote with your wallet...

That is exactly what I am doing. Proud non-owner, non-beta-tester, non-cp-preview user of Windows 8 since it's unholy inception. I'll see whats up when Windows 9 is released. Oh, and they would do themselves a big, BIG, favor by at least giving the "illusion" of having left their latest operating system behind. The idea of keeping the Windows 8 name for life just doesn't seem smart to me. Of course, on the other hand, the changed the Metro UI name, what was it, Modern? LOL. *cough cough*. Square purple boxes is modern, yeah okay. :) Watching Microsoft lately is like watching Lindsay Lohan, people are just waiting to see what *****ic thing they are going to do next.

I've never used "Windows Update" ...
If I want to update then I do first a system partition backup and then apply a service pack.

Ah, no service pack available then not update, its very simple !!!

Why to be so updated ???

For security ??? Come on, A good free Firewall with a good free Antivirus is enough... and there are a lot of free security software if you need more !!!

Antivirus: Avira, Avast, AVG
Firewall: Comodo, Zone Alarm, Outpost
Backup: Easeus Todo Backup, Paragon, Auslogics BitReplica
Instant Backup: Comodo Time Machine (2.8 stable)
Scanners: ClamWin, Malwarebytes, TrendMicro House Call & RootkitBuster, ADSScanner
Monitoring: WinPatrol
Internet: Spyware Blaster, McAffe SiteAdvisor, AVG Secure Search
File Protection: Easy File Locker, System Protect, Folder Defence, My Lock Box
Others: SpyDllRemover, Autorun Eater, Hickjack This, ThreatFire

Windows Update Advice: Don't touch if it Works !!!
;)

So now Microsoft is "really" getting aggressive with the tactics to get people to upgrade to Windows 8. Giving the middle finger to Windows 7 users when they asked about Service Pack 2, adopting a new customer service police of "#dealwithit", and now purposefully breaking Windows 7 machines until consumers become some frustrated with Windows 7 that they wanna upgrade? Too bad nothing in the past worked to get me to even consider upgrading. And this wouldn't either.
Just want to point out that the guy no longer works for MS after his "#dealwithit" comment...

Bwaaahaaha Firewall and antivirus will keep your system secure. What a joke. if you don't apply security updates then you are an *****. Attackers have many techniques to circumvent the buggy apps you mentioned. Just because you don't think you have a compromised system doesn't mean that is reality. Back to your cave, Mr aint broke don't fix

Good evening

The problem is only with the 32 bits version of Windows 7 and it is linked with a security plugin from Caixa Economica(a brazilian bank). So now it's explained the why the problem it's limited to Brazil.

I've never used "Windows Update" ...
If I want to update then I do first a system partition backup and then apply a service pack.

Ah, no service pack available then not update, its very simple !!!

Why to be so updated ???

For security ??? Come on, A good free Firewall with a good free Antivirus is enough... and there are a lot of free security software if you need more !!!

Antivirus: Avira, Avast, AVG
Firewall: Comodo, Zone Alarm, Outpost
Backup: Easeus Todo Backup, Paragon, Auslogics BitReplica
Instant Backup: Comodo Time Machine (2.8 stable)
Scanners: ClamWin, Malwarebytes, TrendMicro House Call & RootkitBuster, ADSScanner
Monitoring: WinPatrol
Internet: Spyware Blaster, McAffe SiteAdvisor, AVG Secure Search
File Protection: Easy File Locker, System Protect, Folder Defence, My Lock Box
Others: SpyDllRemover, Autorun Eater, Hickjack This, ThreatFire

Windows Update Advice: Don't touch if it Works !!!
;)
Sounds like a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

That's not entirely accurate.

64 bits have also been affected and some antivirus programs are going crazy.

Neither of my 3 pcs running w7 64bit have given me any problem, mostly because I prevent unnecessary updates from being installed.

Most is crap, tbh.

Neither of my 3 pcs running w7 64bit have given me any problem, mostly because I prevent unnecessary updates from being installed.
None of my w7 64bit have given me any problem, and they are manually updated fully every so often. I will agree with you that not every update is necessary but that doesn't mean they will brick your system. Your point about not updating as being the reason your PC's are not broken is flawed.

Back