Windows update completely stopped working, unknown error 8024402C

zachaqsw

I honestly think I need some advanced help here because Ive tried about every solution I could find that pertained to me using Google.

So all of a sudden my windows update just stopped working/checking for updates(I get unknown error 8024402C ) and I cannot connect to some Microsoft websites like "www.update.Microsoft.com" and the download place for ie 10, Firefox says it cant find the server at "update.microsoft.com" and "download.microsoft.com" and when I diagnosed the connection with internet explorer it said "The DNS isn't responding" on both Microsoft websites all other websites work fine.

Things Ive tried that did not work:
  • IMPORTANT: I have recovered my laptop back to an image I made 3 years ago before I knew this would be this hard to fix.
  • The Microsoft fix it tool gives me error 80072EE7
  • updated some drivers
  • Went to "services.msc" and checked that background intelligent, windows update, and workstion were started and automatic.
  • I did a full scan with malware bytes program and found nothing.
  • I changed around the (TCP/IPv4) on my internet connection to the opendns and googledns adresses. could not change on the (TCP/IPv6) said invalid address.
  • Ran ccleaner program to fix any registry problems there might be.
  • tried about all the Microsoft support links I could find that looked like they might help
  • talked to Microsoft support
  • cursed at laptop
My PC is a Toshiba laptop running genuine windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Some extra info if needed:The whole reason I recovered to image was because the PC was just cluttered/unorganized with stuff over the 3 years I've had it when I saw an error with windows update I thought a recovery to image would just fix that but anyways before I recovered to image I did see the last windows update was like 2/16/2013 or 2/26/13 I didn't know this at the time but it hasn't been working for like 2.5 months now. I don't know what happened maybe I picked some virus some where tho I'm really careful about what I download. Also I have always used been using trend micro antivirus paid version.

nope it don't work I can download it but it gives me error 80072EE7 I think all the fix it/trouble shooters related to this windows update will give me error 80072EE7
I am not too sure then. I hope someone else has some insight.

Firefox says it cant find the server at "update.microsoft.com" and "download.microsoft.com"
I think as a matter of policy, windows update services can only be accessed thru ie and cannot be accessed thru firefox and other browsers.

"unknown error 8024402C", in my experience, suggests no connection can be made with a Microsoft server.
try to restart the computer and click windows updates again.
(I prefer enabling background automatic updates rather than "forcing" manual updates.)

since you just refreshed windows 7 thru an image made 3 years ago, you can try to revalidate your windows 7 installation.
use internet explorer and go to:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/ValidateNow.aspx?displaylang=en

I think as a matter of policy, windows update services can only be accessed thru ie and cannot be accessed thru firefox and other browsers.

"unknown error 8024402C", in my experience, suggests no connection can be made with a Microsoft server.
try to restart the computer and click windows updates again.
(I prefer enabling background automatic updates rather than "forcing" manual updates.)

since you just refreshed windows 7 thru an image made 3 years ago, you can try to revalidate your windows 7 installation.
use internet explorer and go to:
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate/ValidateNow.aspx?displaylang=en
On ie the the websites still dont work, restarting didnt work, and I went to link in ie and it like check the validation and says I have genuine windows installled but windows update still not working.

I finally figured out the problem all by myself I'm using an att air card and for some reason its causing my problems I have to talk to att/netgear to try and fix it which that whole process so far is just BS-

Back