Windows update does not apply to operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazeel

Hi all.
Colin's Windows XP system requests that he perform an outstanding Windows update. It is for Media Player 6.4. Now 6.4 is for previous versions of Windows - not Windows XP. He already has Media Player 10.0 installed - so why does Windows Update continue to ask him to update. And then of course it fails during the update process.
TIA.
Basil.

If I'm not mistaken, that update is a critical update, correct? If you look in the files under Windows Media Player under C:\Programs, you should find a file called mplayer2.exe. That's WMP 6.4. You still have it. Double click on it and see for yourself. So as long as you have it, you have a vulnerability that Windows Update, correctly, wants to fix.

Mailpup.
Here is Colin's message to me.
---------------
The message received is as follows:
MS Windows XP
Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
(The Update has actually downloaded, but cannot install.)
Colin.
-----------

Have you tried to manually download the kb925398 update from www.Microsoft.com/downloads and install ? ...
if no you can try that ...if yes then
we might have to stop these windows update services from the start>run>services.msc window.......
automatic updates,
background intelligent transfer service,
cryptographic service...

then rename two folders 1>software distribution folder in c:\windows to sold
2>catroot2 folder in c:\windows\system32 to catroot2.old..(do not rename catroot folder)

Go to "Start>Run" and type cmd and hit enter
In the command prompt type the following, and press enter after each command

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s jscript.dll
regsvr32 /s atl.dll
regsvr32 /s softpub.dll
regsvr32 /s msxml3.dll

after that restart all the three services from services.msc window

then restart the computer and try to do the update again.

there is one more thing we can do...however lets first try these steps.

hopefully they might help.

Thanks v-2sko. I'll try your suggestions and get back with the results.

kitty500cat said:
Can you simply delete the mplayer2.exe file? Or would that cause Windows Media Player v10 to stop working?

Thanks kitty - I tried but it still attempts to install and fails.
Cheers, Bazeel

Manually visit the Windows Update site (http://update.microsoft.com/). If it shows you the WMP update, click the plus sign next to it and check the box that says "Do not show this update again."

Install all other high-priority updates, and then close the browser once it's finished. Hopefully after that you'll be good to go.

Regards :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back