Windows update error 0x80070057/ Upgrading back to Windows10

JoeVM

I originally upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 1o when it was available for free. I was running Windows 10 until it started to crash and I tried everything to try n fix it. I had to use the recovery partition and factory restore the laptop. It installed Windows 8.1 and all the original software. When I try to update to Windows 10 it just says searching for updates but never finds any. I tried to update Windows 8.1 with Windows update and it just kept searching. I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it Said it found and fixed error 0x80070057 and fixed problems installing recent errors but it still isn't allowing me to update windows 8.1 or run the software to upgrade back to Windows 10.

I'm not sure how to fix this and would appreciate any help.

HP ENVY m6-n113dx Notebook PC
Windows 8.1 64 bit

The free upgrade is over so you won't get the update through Windows update. As you had Windows 10 running previously if you install it again the copy should be activated automatically. I'd back up anything important before you start.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That's the website I went to and tried to update to Windows 10 by using the downloaded file. It gives me 2 options one to keep my personal files and software or do a clean install. I clicked Keep my files and it asked to update before the installation. It just keeps spinning and any updates to windows 8.1 fail. I was trying to avoid doing a clean install but I guess I'll have to.

That sounds correct. You no longer have the option to upgrade to Windows 10 so take your time ensuring that you back up documents and are ready to reinstall programs. Hopefully, you will be able to complete a fresh install of Windows 10 then load up the stuff you saved.

Back