Windows Update failing?

GambitX

Hello,

I hope this is the right spot to post this. Sorry if it is not.

I've got the Windows Updates downloading automatically. Just recently, this one update keeps failing. I get this error code:

Code 66A: Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

The update I am trying to install sounds like an important one.
Security Update for .NET framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 , Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2160841)

For whatever reason, it keeps failing. I tried to troubleshoot but had no luck. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Also not sure if it is related but:

After this update failed about 2 days later (Could be coincidence?) at the bottom right corner it said something like External Driver detected, Intel Matrix Storage Manager". I didn't have any USB or any external drives, which I thought was weird. I google'd it and it seemed to be OK but no idea where that came from.

Anyone have any idea?

Thank you so much in advance.

Normally you can just go to windows website and look for the download which is failing on automatic update and it'll work. I've done it countless times.

As for the External driver detected, intel matrix storage manager...idk.

I tried doing it that way (manually) but it isn't working still.
It says this :
KB2160841 does not apply, or is blocked by another condition on your computer.

I don't get it. Any idea? Would Windows make me download an automatic update which doesn't apply to my computer?

Go to the add/remove program, right click on Microsoft.Net Framework 4 Client Profile, which will give you a choice of Uninstall/Change, when you click it
it.

Then click it, It will give you a choice to repair the Microsoft.Net Framework 4 Client Profile and choose to repair.

Now it will ask you to check for the newest update. Choose to do so. And it should repair and be good to go.

This is a really good site to fix .Net problems:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.aspx

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager sounds like your PC is HP, if so look for the Intel Storage manager driver there and re-install.
I recently converted several HP xw4400s to 64-Bit XP and they wouldn't install without using the F6 key and installing the Intel Matrix Storage manager, a real pain.

Go to the add/remove program, right click on Microsoft.Net Framework 4 Client Profile, which will give you a choice of Uninstall/Change, when you click it
it.

Then click it, It will give you a choice to repair the Microsoft.Net Framework 4 Client Profile and choose to repair.

Now it will ask you to check for the newest update. Choose to do so. And it should repair and be good to go.

Thank you for your reply. I thought this was a really good idea, so I tried this. It didn't work. Said it failed again. I have a very detailed log saying why.. is there somewhere I could post it? Maybe here? Thanks guys

This is a really good site to fix .Net problems:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.aspx

The Intel Matrix Storage Manager sounds like your PC is HP, if so look for the Intel Storage manager driver there and re-install.
I recently converted several HP xw4400s to 64-Bit XP and they wouldn't install without using the F6 key and installing the Intel Matrix Storage manager, a real pain.

Thanks! Is it normal for this program to be "recognized" by the system? It never happened before but 2 days in a row it said that the system recognized this Intel Matrix Storage Manager device upon startup. It would say; device detected (intel matrix storage manager) Was a bit odd

Back