TechSpot

Windows Update page not loading

By Astromole
Oct 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, i have been encountering problems with my video driver, it comes up with the critical error message that the file igxprd32 is not working.

i have uninstalled my video drive, and am attempting to update my system by opening IE, clicking on tools>windows update, but this page simply wont load. I have also manually attempted to get to windows update by going to the microsoft website. I've tried this on both firefox and IE, but neither can come up with a reason to why windows update wont load, is the website down at the moment?

any help will be appreciated.

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,374   +167

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking
    > On powerup, begin tapping F8 once a second. You should be presented Advanced Start Options. Select Safe Mode with Networking. Will it load the MS updated screen now???? If yes, i'd say go to the malware removal section and get checked out.

Follow directions here for instruction for Virus/Malware removal assistance. Create a new thread in the Malware removal forum. Copy/paste all your logs as instructed

3. Astromole

Astromole TS Rookie Topic Starter

i've booted up in safe mode with networking and still getting nothing. any other advice?

4. LookinAround

Can you get to other web sites OK?? (just not MS Updates??)

Try resetting Internet Explorer options

If normal web browsing seems ok but you still have problems connecting to MS update, i'd still follow the steps to check for malware

5. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,348   +50

6. LookinAround

@Astromole

OOOOppps! :eek:

Boy, did I misread the intent of your post when i first skimmed it first time the other day!!

<I'll sheepishly add> OK, never mind. Ignore my earlier posts :blackeye:

/* edit */
    I just re-read it after seein' gbhall's apt post!

7. Astromole

Astromole TS Rookie Topic Starter

so you suggest downloading maybe version 4926?
    or would i need to get a new video chip?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.