Windows Update problems

Makalf

Im trying to install all my updates manually but I get these errors:

Code 800B0100
and
Code 80073712

I tried following the steps for 800B0100 and Im unable to install the hot fix.

Code 80073712 seems like I will have to reinstall windows. If thats the case will all the software I already downloaded on my computer be deleted?

You must define your Operating System and SP level, as the error recovery differs between OS's. Check this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712/en-us and comfirm (a) you are on Win 7 (b) the 'windows features' result.

In the event of reinstalling windows, yes you will normally lose everything on your PC (your data, emails, images etc), and will have to reinstall everything. The exception is doing a 'repair installation' which will reinstall the OS without doing more than over-writing the actual OS code, and it's settings will sometimes be retained. The choice is yours, which is why it is better to pursue all the known cures first as appropriate for your particular OS.

It should go without saying that a full backup of all your data before any reinstalltion of either type would be a vital safeguard.

Also consider that a repair installation will not very often cure a problem actually caused by a malware infection, which will remain present and may be reactivated in various ways. Whereas a full reinstallation will almost always cure a malware infection.

Back