TechSpot

Windows USB ports

By circusboy01
Dec 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Someone told me that the front USB ports on Windows 7 are wired differently than the rear USB ports. Is this true? Because I have my doubts.

2. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

The front ports can be different to the rear ports (e.g. 2.0 at the rear, 3.0 at the front), it's a hardware/BIOS thing, independent of the OS.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,375   +240

How can one find out? I ran http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
    but saw no mention of it. TIA

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,475   +624

Well, back USB ports are soldered directly onto the motherboard. Front USB ports have a wire that runs through the computer (if we're talking about a desktop here..) and plugs into the motherboard.

But, there are differences: the front ports are a 'hub', not individually powered, and as mentioned above can be USB 1, 2, 3 depending on the motherboard.

It has nothing to do with Windows 7 though.

5. learninmypc

If it has nothing to do with W7, why can I not reboot on my W7 if a usb is plugged in a front port?
    I am probably the individual the OP was talking about. This is my original thread http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/w7-reboot-problem-question.185607/
    :confused:
    "EDIT" No, I will not even try to use any port in the front of this W7 . I will not risk it.

6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,981   +168

Some older/lesser motherboards have problems when connecting to the front (case) USB ports

7. learninmypc

Thank you, I hope that settles this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.