W7 reboot problem/question

learninmypc

Friday night I was at a friends place checking out my portable SeaMonkey & FF browsers I have on a flashdrive. Later on, I went to reboot his W7 pc with the flashdrive in, but it didn't reboot.
This happened once before & I'm wanting to know why?
I've been on other W7 pc's & it rebooted no problem, why not on his?
I'm asking because if it happens again, I'd like to know how to fix it.
He did get it taken care of, but I'd still like to know why it happens?:confused:

Find out what he had to fix in order for the( laptop or computer to reboot), This may give you a better understanding of what happen in the first place.

Find out what he had to fix in order for the( laptop or computer to reboot), This may give you a better understanding of what happen in the first place.
Ok, its a tower. I'll ask him,but no idea when I'll get an answer. Thanks.
EDIT, I should say it reboots fine with NO flashdrive in ANY usb port, just don't if one is in.
On my XP, I have a couple flashdrives that I have to remove ,or it won't reboot.

I have seen this from time to time with different brands of flash drives. But I have always made it a rule to remove the flash drive before shutting down the computer for the night. Or if I am going to reboot it for any reason. I have never really looked into the cause of this.

I have seen this from time to time with different brands of flash drives. But I have always made it a rule to remove the flash drive before shutting down the computer for the night. Or if I am going to reboot it for any reason. I have never really looked into the cause of this.
Thats the problem, I'm not in the habit of doing such on my XP pc because most of mine can & have stayed in. If it don't reboot, I simply power off , pull it out & boot up no problem, but NOT on his W7.:D

I best guess it would not reboot, Because it was trying to boot from the flash drive. The best bet would to be to use the safe remove hard ware software and remove it from the computer before trying to reboot the computer. This could because by a bios setting.

I best guess it would not reboot, Because it was trying to boot from the flash drive. The best bet would to be to use the safe remove hard ware software and remove it from the computer before trying to reboot the computer. This could because by a bios setting.
The first time I used it on his, I did use the safe to remove feature, but admit, I simply forgot to remove it the second time & needless to say, he got angry. I don't blame him,my bad.
My tower is just to my left with in "eye" sight, his is kinda "under" the desk,out of sight. Not to mention on mine, the lite goes out on my flashdrive to show its removable, not on his.
I've emailed him & told him I won't bring flashdrives over again.
I'm asking about this because he has told me hes giving it to me when he goes to W8. I've worked on W7 pc's/laptops,but never ran into this.:confused:

Just keep in mined that when you use win 7. To always use the safety hardware feature. Sometimes you may get lucky. But not always.

I just got an email from him telling me "The ones on the front of the computer are different."
Hopefully he'll get my other email & give me "more" details.:)

Same pc, different question. When I was using it that Friday night, I was mousing over the icons in the notification area & noticed he had a wi fi icon showing 2 bars yet he says says he is NOT on wi fi. It wasn't the typical monitor icon.
His pc is a tower & I know towers can be on wi fi because mine has beenView attachment 74257& mine shows as a monitor. His is like this Signal_Strength_Bar-2.pngHis ISP does have a tower not fay from his place.
If in fact I do get it, I'll most likely hook it up to my DSL.
I'm only bringing this up because streaming the local news or watching videos like this http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/dont-operate-heavy-machinery is almost impossible. RAM is not a problem,he probably has 8 to 10 gigabytes on it.
He did say he was going to contact his ISP.
**EDIT** Would those two bars I saw be for his wireless mouse & keyboard?

His computer has wifi , He just dose not have it disabled. He may not realize he has it.
Thats what I tried to tell him, but he didn't agree.
Different topic,but I'm confused as to why when I downloaded & installed Portable Apps on to a flashdrive & installed FF on it because I'm giving it to him, it reset my FF on my pc to be my default, strange.:confused:

Like I said he dose not realize he has wifi. I have it in my computer now, But have disable in my network properties and the device manger. I run my connection threw a modem and router. Did you use the flashdrive in your computer after? If so was Firefox set to default on it. If you did and used the firefox on it. This may be why. Other then that I really do not know.

Ok, I finally got the answer as to why it didn't reboot. Evidently the USB ports in FRONT are wired differently? than the ones in the rear of the tower. All my USB flashdrives are plugged in the rear & no reboot problem. It sounds confusing to me, but at least the mystery is solved to my satisfaction.:)

Back