Windows vista automatic update causes reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a brand new HP laptop (2 weeks old, hardly used):
Specs.: HP_PAVILION_DV6707U S_ENTE RTAINMENT Notebook PC 1.9 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-57 CPU • 2 GB (2x1 GB) RAM
with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed. Apparently, after an automatic OS update, the machine rebooted, and has continued rebooting ever since.
Result: she is unable to log on and perform her work.
Is this related to Windows Vista OS? If so, is there anywhere she can turn off the Automatic Update feature (or at least get a prompt where she can decide Yes or No to the update?).
Re-installing Vista is, of course, an option, even though it seems to be the stone age variant.

Try booting into Vista using "Safe Mode" and performing a system restore to a point just before the updates.

*Edit*

Oh, and to alter your Windows Update settings look in the Control Panel. You can indeed have it notify you that there's an update available before downloading or installing it.

Thanks, I'll check

This update sounds like it could be the cause of all evil. No reasonable course of action recommended by Microsoft, though.

I seem to remember recently a newsbrief that there was a faulty vista update. You will need to roll back your system to an earlier date and undo the update. M$ has fixed the problem. I hope this helps.

Thank you, that's is exactly what I did: the laptop works just great again.
Thank you all. No more automatic updates without prompting first. I seem to remember it took quite a while before I could trust XP when it first came out, stuck to Windows 2000 for a long time before switching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back