Windows Vista BSOD - daily occurence

By Lycanomics
Nov 19, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Got a new BSOD on my PC. Have'nt had any for a long time, but I guess I was due. Its difficult to say when it occurs because usually its when someone else uses my PC. but anyways here is the information I get in the "Windows has recovered from..." window after a BSOD restart.

BCCode: a
    BCP1: 00000016
    BCP2: 0000001B
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 824E17DB
    OS Version: 6_0_6002
    Service Pack: 2_0
    Product: 768_1

Attached is the most recent minidump file, if it can be of use. Thank you for any help, I'm out of ideas right now.

Attached Files:

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

That 0xA error is caused by either hardware or faulty drivers. Unfortunantly nothing definitive was cited as the cause of said crash.

Do you have anymore recent minidump files?
  3. Lycanomics

Lycanomics Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yes. attached are mindump files dating back to when this began, which is only five days ago. Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. Route44

One of the dumps gave a definitive cause of your system crashes as being the Norton driver symevent.sys. We see this driver and software cause a lot of issues for a lot of people.

Try one of the following:

1. Update current install or...

2. Uninstall, reinstall, and then update.

* Do you gain stability?
  5. Lycanomics

Blasted Norton....I actually uninstalled Norton a few days ago. I'll try a re-installation and update and see if that works. Thank you.
  6. Route44

Hold on. Norton is notorious for leaving driver remnants behind. Therefore, go to their website, find the special Removal Tool for your version and use it. Your system should be clean now.
  7. Lycanomics

OK, did that. I think I'll probably get something else for antivirus software. Norton has been so much of a headache, I really would rather not mess with it again now that I think about it. Hopefully this will get rid of the BSOD's at least. I'll give it a few days and see if any pop up again. Thank you for your help. :)
  8. Route44

You're welcome. :) Please keep us updated and let us know if the stability continues or not.

Kaspersky and NOD32 have great antiviruses (I run NOD32) as does Avast and Avira. The latter two have very good free versions as well but when it comes to my main rig I like the $ versions.
  9. Lycanomics

OK, so it looked like things were solid for a day, but then three (so I've been told) BSOD's came up over the last two days. Attached are the minidumps for those. It does seem a pattern has developed of them occurring after the PC has been sitting unused for several hours. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

10. Route44

0xA and 0x7E errors but nothing definitive was identified as the cause. What security software are you running at the moment?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.