TechSpot

Windows Vista corrupt file window\tracing\raps\RASPLAP.LOG

By razr
May 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello, I have windows vista on my laptop and the last 3 days i am getting this error:

The file or directory C:\Windows\tracing\RASPLAP.LOG is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

This prevents the laptop from going to sleep mode or even on startup windows takes ages to open and then i get to a dos screen where it starts checking the whole C: disk and after i cancel the scanning i am getting this popup file on login screen. The title of the popup window is "loginui.exe".

This really is bugging me because i basically have to leave my laptop open all the time otherwise it takes too much time to do anything:(

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,271

The PC is telling you there is a problem and what to do so you need to run chkdsk.

Following that I would run sfc /scannow from the command prompt (get to the command prompt the same way as above for chkdsk) this will repair any damaged system files.

With a warning appearing to run chkdsk this might be early signs that your hard drive is failing so back up all your important files just in case.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.