Windows Vista DVD won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazerix

I have a Dell E520, Pentium 4 HT, 2GB Ram. I beleive im running a 32-bit processor(Windows XP). I have a genuine Windows Vista Home Premium retail dvd. When I insert it into the PC and try to open the setup, it freezes and when I try to insert it and boot from dvd all I get is a black screen with a little _ in the top left.

Can someone please tell me whats going on?

Either your DVD is not reading the media or your setup media has gone bad; you can check if your windows xp media is ok by trying to see its contents on some other PC.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean? Its actually a dell xp media center cd so it wont work on other computers. What can i do? How do i get Vista to boot up?

I mean try to put that DVD in another computer's drive, and see whether you can see files/data on it; if you so your DVD disk is fine, and it would mean your DVD drive is playing up.

However, if the disk is not readable on some other DVD drive, it mean the disk has been damaged. In that case, you can all Dell and ask them to provide you with replacement disk (probably they will ask for money).

I tried my vista disk in another computer and it worked perfectly. Is there a reason why only the Vista Dvd isn't working in this computer?

I frankly don't know, reason is, I have similar issue, my windows dvd won't work in my HP DVD, however, it works perfectly in my LG DVD reader. In my case, I serviced the drive/cleaned out its reading head etc. but no use. You may choose to service/or get it serviced and see whether that helps.

I have never tired installing OS from USB frankly, however, it is possible, simply search for 'installing vista from USB flash drive'. But in your case, as its a Dell's DVD, I am not sure you can somehow convert it to run from USB, I hope someone with more knowledge in this area will look into this and advise you about it.

Ah, you misunderstood me. The vista DVD is not from Dell, it's an original retail version, the xp cd is from Dell

It worked like a charm, thank you so much. I had to make the USB on my laptop first, then I booted it in my other comp. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back