Windows Vista isn't so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukasuzu

Windows Vista ins't so bad
I have Windows Vista and it isn't so bad :) I don't have probnlems with it, but you will need to buy a brand new laptop so Vista would work, it won't work on some old laptops I have been using it for a while and works well. Do not install Service Pack 1. Some game don't like it like Ragnarok Online II

I agree. I am using Vista Home Premium on an Inspiron530 Desktop. I have never had any problems with it and i have it for a little over a year already. I have Service Pack 1 and still no problems. The people who say vista is bad are the people who installed it on an old hardware machine (yes, that includes your XP machines with a nice little sticker that says 'vista compatible'. Well if you notice above that it says 'DESIGNED FOR XP etc etc.) or Mac people haha. Thats my take on vista anyway, geat OS.

I am glad that people come back to Vista, Ms might release more fixes :)

I am glad that people come back to Vista, Ms might release more fixes :)
There is a new windows coming out and I think it is called Mojave!

Do not install Service Pack 1

Please do not advise users not to do Windows Security updates (for whatever reason)
It is counter-productive support

Also TechSpot forums should not be used to general chat, other than The Meeting 'spot' forum, that is a bit grey on just general members comments (ie it's usually related to a topic on Computer issues only)

Sorry about that!

Ops My bad Sorry about that!
I didn't know. You should do security updated and service packs.
I didn't do service pack 1 but you should install
If you know what u doing :eek:

Actually Vista isn't that great either. We could just say its ok. If I have a choice I will not use it. Can I use it. Sure. Is it better than XP. Few ways yes. Most ways no. Is the user interface better on Vista. No. In my eyes its worse and one of the main reasons I don't like it at all. Is it slower? YES even on the most current hardware. This is one of those most annoying arguments vista supporters are saying... But they are wrong. If I throw XP on the same hardware it is faster. But to each his own I say. I just hope Windows 7 goes a different direction but it doesn't look like it.

Actually Vista isn't that great either. We could just say its ok. If I have a choice I will not use it. Can I use it. Sure. Is it better than XP. Few ways yes. Most ways no. Is the user interface better on Vista. No. In my eyes its worse and one of the main reasons I don't like it at all. Is it slower? YES even on the most current hardware. This is one of those most annoying arguments vista supporters are saying... But they are wrong. If I throw XP on the same hardware it is faster. But to each his own I say. I just hope Windows 7 goes a different direction but it doesn't look like it.

That entire comment feels like it is based solely on opinion, and no fact whatsoever.

I run windows vista ultimate 64 on my rig. It has absolutely no problem, and is VERY fast. My rig is fairly new, and has excellent hardware(imo), but it runs Vista like a dream.

I can not attest to how fast windows xp would run.... but I just don't see honestly how it could run any faster.... nor could it do what my machine does :)

Windows Mojave was just a little joke Microsoft decided to play on people who have never used vista to get them to say they loved it. Mojave was just Vista in a different box. The next windows is codenamed Vienna, or is so far known as Windows 7. Microsoft wants to release it by mid-2010 i think.

My Dell computer is just 15 months old, plenty powerful, and came equipped with Vista Ultimate. For the first 12 moths I thought Vista was an improvement over XP, and liked it, although the improvement was not as much as hoped for, or as MS advertised. Still it was the most stable and secure system I had up to now. My previous experience was 95, ME and XP.

SP1 introduction is a major catastrophe for some Dell owners- see Dell Support Forum. Most had no problem, some had to uninstall SigmaTel drivers and install in Simple Mode, some had to go back to factory condition, and some of us tried all of the above, spent hours with Dell and Microsoft Technicians on the phone and email, and still are not able to install SP1.
A major black eye for MS and Dell in my opinion, as SP1 is supposed to be such a security improvement.

I still like Vista as a product and continue to use it, hoping for a miracle I suppose. I have good security software and practice safe surfing as best I can.

My Dell computer is just 15 months old, plenty powerful, and came equipped with Vista Ultimate. For the first 12 moths I thought Vista was an improvement over XP, and liked it, although the improvement was not as much as hoped for, or as MS advertised. Still it was the most stable and secure system I had up to now. My previous experience was 95, ME and XP.

SP1 introduction is a major catastrophe for some Dell owners- see Dell Support Forum. Most had no problem, some had to uninstall SigmaTel drivers and install in Simple Mode, some had to go back to factory condition, and some of us tried all of the above, spent hours with Dell and Microsoft Technicians on the phone and email, and still are not able to install SP1.
A major black eye for MS and Dell in my opinion, as SP1 is supposed to be such a security improvement.

I still like Vista as a product and continue to use it, hoping for a miracle I suppose. I have good security software and practice safe surfing as best I can.

I have a Vista machine that came with Vista Home Premium. Its a Dell Inspiron 530 and i upgraded to SP1 with no problem...simply used windows update. Guess i was lucky =).

Mine is Inspiron C521. I heard that model mentioned as having trouble with SP1 by other people.
Otherwise the machine is fine and I like it.

yeah InsaneVr6 you were lucky as was I :)

yeah InsaneVr6 you were lucky as was I :)
I had no problem installing SP1 but I took it off o_O

That entire comment feels like it is based solely on opinion, and no fact whatsoever.

I run windows vista ultimate 64 on my rig. It has absolutely no problem, and is VERY fast. My rig is fairly new, and has excellent hardware(imo), but it runs Vista like a dream.

I can not attest to how fast windows xp would run.... but I just don't see honestly how it could run any faster.... nor could it do what my machine does :)

I have Windows xp and Windows Vista both installed on my laptop and I have to agree that XP does boot, and run faster. I have no major beef's with Vista I enjoy using and most often choose it over xp when using my laptop. I do agree with the guy saying xp runs faster than vista on the same hardware not saying all hardware but in my particular case it does.

Is it just me or does vista not let you use as many options from the control pannel? Or is it that i just cant find them?

I believe the options are all there they are just grouped different like before what use to have its own Icon in the control panel is now in another icon area fewer icons more items to choose from in each category.

On the left click classic view Richardw9

On the left click classic view Richardw9
Once you are in Control Panel o_O

Hi sorry for late reply, more specifically i cant find how to change visual effects on vista, on xp you can alter them by going into "performance and maintenance" then "System" Then "Advanced" then "Performance". I cant find how to do that on vista

When I recently built a new PC, I went back and forth about installing Vista. I doubt that there's anything wrong with it. When 95, 98, and XP came out, I remember people complaining that MS had finally gone too far and shafted PC users. Six months later, the same people had upgraded and weren't looking back. I'm sure this is exactly what MS was thinking when they did Mojave - a brilliant lesson for consumers that, like too many lessons, will go largely unlearned. Not that I'm an MS fanboy, but I want to give credit where it's due.

I held onto 98 for a long time, because the online talk about XP's activation led me to believe it was something to be concerned about. When I got a new piece of hardware that 98 didn't support, I finally bought an XP upgrade and soon saw that those concerns were unfounded. Now when I reinstall, those few minutes with 98 before installing the XP upgrade are like driving a Ford Pinto. If I were to buy Vista, in a few weeks the gap between it and XP might start feeling similar. But for the moment, I don't know what I might be missing and don't feel like I'm missing anything. So for now, I'll keep running XP. As was the case with XP, must-have hardware or software will probably come along and nudge me to Vista.

For a long time, one of my complaints about Windows was that new versions almost always required upgraded hardware. It seemed like MS and the hardware giants were conspiring to gouge consumers. I've since reconsidered. Hardware of the same physical size or smaller is faster and more powerful, but prices are still reasonable. We're also seeing more energy-efficient hardware. The advances have been as useful as they've been breathtaking. Windows upgrades have been a large part of that.

I still have concerns about Windows' security and privacy. Whether Vista would be any worse in this regard, I have no idea. Overall, I highly doubt MS is collecting info behind our backs for some nefarious purpose. There are a lot of very bright IT people who would have surely caught such activity.

here is a solution to your problem Richardw9

here is a solution to your problem Richardw9
1 Open the Start menu
2 Right click on My Computer
3 Select Properties
4 Click on Advanced System Settings
5 In the Performance section, click on the Settings button
5 Click on Custom
7 Uncheck the unneeded effects

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.