Windows Vista keeps freezing up on me..

hammjam

Hey,

So I've been having some issues with my computer lately. It's an Acer Apsire 6930 Laptop, only about two years old, and haven't had any issues in the past. I'm running Windows Vista (not my choice, but I've learnt to live with it) and about a week ago, nothing seems to work right. Of course my first thought was I download too many torrents and thought about questionable files infecting my laptop, so I've run multiple scans from multiple virus software. Nothing major has popped up other than the usual cookies and suspected threats. Then while trying to find a solution to why my computer still seems to freeze up and now runs slower than usual, I decided to try out Registry Mechanic to get my registry cleaned. Now it seems things are worse off! My computer does run a bit smoother, but if I'm ever on for more than a few minutes, something inevitably causes the cursed cursor to go into its waiting-to-load mode and then s**t hits the fan. I try closing the window, then ctrl+alt+del and finally have to do a hard reset. Reboot, go through disk check, scan again and after all that, I get maybe 5 or 10 more minutes of use until computer freezes up again. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm hesitant to format the whole thing and start fresh (I've done that in the past with my old desktop), but if thats the only option I've got....

Yes, we here at TechSpot warn against anything that claims to "fix" the registry because they do more harm than good. We also warn against Torrents because of similar issues and often the piracy present.

What security software did you run and what security softwware do you have loaded?

I have Panda Cloud Anti-Virus and whatever standard Vista windows issued firewall at the moment. The Panda Cloud Anti-Virus was chosen because it's free (and seems to be running without issue.)

Also: the registry fixing program I used was PC Tools' Registry Mechanic. Found it on a windows site, so obviously I trusted it and assumed it had my computers best intentions.

Back