Windows Vista Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i got the Cryp_tap-2 virus on my Windows Vista Home Basic computer about 3 days ago. After trying Trend Micro and SUPERAntiSpyware i still had about 24 infected. The problem is, i downloaded and used ComboFix, and it worked at first. I waited till the log showed then about 10 more minutes to be sure. The problem? When i restarted windows the screen turned black after it said Logging On. I have tried a Last known good configuration but to no luck, So now i can't really do anything, such as post a hijackthis log to make sure my computer is finally free of Cryp_tap-2. Any Help would be appriciated. Also when the screen is black light still comes through and i still have a mouse, just no basic backround(icons, task bar, start menu, etc..) Thanks.

Note: I dont know if this is the right place to post this, i just thought this had more to do with Video then Viruses since it is a video problem.

Edit: I guess i should not that upon pressing ctrl-alt-delete the vista window does pop up. And if i do select Task Manager it shows up as well

Go to Safe mode and uninstall your video card driver

To get to safe mode
1. Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe mode.

Once logged into Safe mode go to Device Manager
click on Start->Run> devmgmt.msc
Click the + sign on your "Display Adaptor"
On the submenu: Right click on your display driver
Select uninstall (select Yes if asked)

Restart your computer, and install your display driver again
Once Windows goes back to Normal mode it should firstly display!
Next it will say "Found new Hardware" and it will try to automatically install it
If it cannot find the correct drivers, it will ask you for your Display driver CD
At this point, you can either insert your driver CD (if available).
Or cancel the driver install, and download your video driver from your manufactures site.

Once the display driver is installed again, you should be able to restart and see normal mode each time

No go, should i delete them as well or just uninstall? Also in safe mode i dont have anything as well. I had to ctrl-alt-delete > File > Run. Why is that?

glad you knew about File>Run in Task Manager

You can use File>Run> devmgmt.msc

But obviously you still either have spyware issues or from Spyware issues, Windows problems.

You can also try a Repair using your Windows CD, as a LAST resort.

I say "last" because if you still have Spyware/Virus it is possible not to work.
You may also contemplate removing the harddrive and installing it into another computer to back up your user data.

It's a bit of a concern !

Could i take a few files i need, check them for any sign of infection, put on a scan drive then uninstall my os? I dont like vista and was thinking of using my brothers XP disk to reinstall the OS. Would that solve the screen problem as well as get rid of the virus?

More info. Hey i found that i can change the backround, so now its not all black. Also almost everything works except the desktop. Nothing happens upon right-clicking and when i go to control panal and try to add a start menu it wont load where as the other folders do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back