Windows Vista SP1 home edition attacked by virus and failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

lataak

I have Toshiba (A205-S5871) laptop which runs windows Vista SP1 home edition. Three days ago, it starts to show unusual behavior:
1) Eats up 96% of memory even when no program is running
2) Busy CPU up to 99%
3) Opens too many program/window which shows nothing

I booted in safe mode and scanned the computer using free versions of Avira and AVG. Both anti-viruses could not detect any virus. AVG reported files which it says are locked and could not be scanned ( around 15-20 files/folder).

I then tried to restore and it completed successfully, but the computer still failed to start.

Here is the problem: the computer starts to boot properly and it show login screen. After password entry it displays welcome screen and stops showing normal blue screen (not error screen) after that. The hard disk looks busy for few minutes as if it is loading. It doesn't accept any input even pressing power button is not effective.

What do you advice me? I have Ubuntu Linux on second partition but could not open the windows partition because it says windows is not shutdown properly (button press for four seconds). Besides Ubuntu is weird to use. Any suggestion please?

First: I think this thread should've been in the virus section of the forums.

Second: Are you still able to boot in safe mode?
Because if you can, I recommend you, prior to doing anything else, to look at the 8-step Virus removal.

Once you have done that, if you even can boot in safe mode (with internet connection), you could try some online virusscanners.

Housecall (IE or Firefox required.)

Eset Online Scanner (I know it works with IE, but I don't know about Firefox.)

See if they find anything, though it might take a while for them both to finish.
Good luck!

Unfortunately, I can't boot in safe mode too. Can I try these scans from Ubuntu 8.04? Thanks
for replying.

Is there any kind of anti-virus that can boot by itself from CD or so and scan the computer? The only option I have seems anything like that. I will consider reinstalling as the last option.

I don't know if they are compatible with Ubuntu, but trying does no harm ;).

As for the bootable Anti-Virus... I'm not realy in-to it, but maybe you could take a look at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back