TechSpot

Windows Vista STOP 0x00000050 solution

By gigogogogown
Nov 23, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I had a friend's HP Pavilion desktop computer that would crash soon after boot with a Blue Screen Of Death STOP 0x00000050 error. I ran on-board diagnostics from the BIOS and everything passed. I booted with memtest and ran it overnight without error. I did not want to just reformat the drive since it had files that needed to be saved. I removed the hard drive and added it to a Windows XP computer as an external drive with a USB adapter. When attempting to mount the drive, the computer would slow to a crawl and eventually freeze, with the System process using 99% of the CPU. It would report that the System Volume Information area was corrupt and suggested repairing it with a CHKDSK. But I could not do that with a frozen system!

So, just because I had one conveniently nearby, I attached the drive and the USB adapter to a Mac mini running OS X 10.5. It could read and mount the drive with no problems. I was able to backup the files to the Mac mini successfully. But putting it back on the PC failed again. So I attached it to the Mac and erased the Windows partition (by formatting it as FAT, since the Mac cannot write NTFS volumes.) Finally I installed it as the internal drive in the HP Pavilion, and used the boot option to perform a Restore to Factory Condition from the HP partition. It worked. Problem solved, thank you Apple.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.