Windows Vista to 7

red1776

Hey gang,
I am putting together a new machine and purchased Windows 7 Professional upgrade as part of the 'elderly student' discount program :p anyway, I have to re-install Vista and then the 7 upgrade over that. does anyone know if I have to load up all of the updates and service packs before installing the 7 upgrade?

Thanks

You shouldn't need too.

You should be able to just do a "clean " install of Windows 7 straight off the bat mate. I've done it before now and it just asks for you to insert your Vista disc to provide proof of update entitlement.

I thought student Windows 7 discs were full install discs anyway, not upgrade ones?

If you can't do that, then just do a install of Vista, and then reboot once complete and boot into the Windows 7 install. Its pointless doing any updates until Windows 7 has been installed.

You should be able to just do a "clean " install of Windows 7 straight off the bat mate. I've done it before now and it just asks for you to insert your Vista disc to provide proof of update entitlement

I think you are probably correct about that Leeky. the PDF that came with it was a bit fuzzy, so I called MS and three different answers depending on who I happened to get on the phone.

I too think you should be able to clean install. If that doesn't work, try clean installing without using a key, then 'upgrade' that install. Worked with Vista.

Well, here's what you can do to find out. Install Vista and don't do any updates. Then try to upgrade to Windows 7. If it doesn't work, then I guess you'll have to update Vista.

The worst that could happen is you could have to reformat the hard drive and start all over again. It's not like you're going to lose any files, so just go for it. In my opinion.

Back