Windows Vista Ultimate Install Probm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartera

I have a Rock Pegasus 665 loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have got myself a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate at a good price so decided to Upgrade.
My laptops specs are
Intel Centrino Duo(dual core) 2.0ghz
2Gb Ram
100Gb hard drive
Nvidia 7600 geforce go graphics

I booted from the Vista Ultimate cd and reformatted my lappys hard drive then installed Vista. This went perfectly untill i was logged on. I got to desktop and then it would go to the vista logging off screen and and then shut down and the log off again and then it would restart and PC Angel system recovery would kick in after the reboot. I have done this 4 times now and it has been the same every time. I also tried the upgrade path from preloaded vista premium and inserted the Vista Ultimate CD and booted from it, this then loaded vista ultimate and did the exact same thing going to desktop then crashing. The PC works fine with Vista Premium but for some reason will not be upgraded! Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in Advance
cartera

If PC Angel is coming into play, then you need to delete the other partition dedicated to PC Angel, then resize your Vista partition accordingly. Then just reinstall Ultimate as usual. You should be okay then.

How do you delete the partition though? i knew that it is possible but i have no idea how. Would i just need to reformat it?
Im guessing PC angel is installed on the partition since i reformatted the main windows partition!
thanks

Yeah, you could format the extra PC Angel partition, and that would most likely wipe it out. You might need to run bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr in the Vista recovery console after you install Ultimate and format the PC Angel partition. That is, if the boot sector has anything to do with PC Angel. I doubt that would be the case, but it can't hurt anything.

Good free partition manager: GParted http://sourceforge.net/project/down...&filename=gparted-livecd-0.3.4-8.iso&54303910

That's a live cd which you can boot from and manage your partitions. You can delete/resize/create partitions in it, and it's pretty nifty. That should solve your problem.

ckrieger

If you are going to go the gparted route (which is fine, and what I'd do if I couldn't wipe out the partition from the Windows installer) then I'd recommend just deleting ALL the partitions. Vista will handle (see and partition/format) an unpartitioned hard drive just fine during the install.

Yeah sorted it, thank you for your help, the partition still exists but i will work on removing it some other time. The partition just needed formatting and know its working perfectly.
Regards
Cartera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back