Windows Vista Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

1bellb

Can I update me Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit to a Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit without losing all of my programs, so can I just do it as an update from the the 32 bit I have now without it changing my settings or anything like that.

No, you can't.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista

If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD, you must use one of the following methods.

Method 1
Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Method 2
1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation method that is listed earlier in this article.
If you have purchased a full license together with a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
1. Back up all the data and settings by using Windows Easy Transfer. Windows Easy Transfer is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the Windows Vista DVD for your currently installed 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.
Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as your installation choice.
5. When the installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back