Windows Vista x64 4GB Memory Stability Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullmetalvegan

[MY SYSTEM]
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz (3.51GHz Overclocked)
Mobo: ASUS Striker II NSE NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI
Mem: OCZ Technology DDR3 4x1GB PC3-10666 1333MHz Platinum Edition
Video: MSI GeForce 8800GTS 512MB 700/2000MHz
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB / Western Digital GreenPower 500GB

Just thought I would make a post on a problem lots of people seemed to having with Windows Vista crashing on 4GB of RAM installed. Firstly, if you have blue screens of death attempting to install Windows Vista, install it on 1-3GB of RAM initially, I installed on 2GB.

Secondly, stability issues within Windows after installed. Stable on 2GB, games/certain memory intensive applications freeze in 5-30 minutes on 4GB. None of the patches off the Windows site or updates had any effect, one seemed to temporarily work and then all hell broke loose again.

I have, however, managed to keep my computer stable; running Sins Of A Solar Empire usually crashes in under 30 minutes on 4GB, but it's been well over an hour and no crash yet.

There appears to be two temporary solutions for this problem until a proper fix is realsed by Microsoft regarding this issue.

1) Remove the additional RAM and simply run on 1-3GB of memory, just use the max memory of what you have that is below 4GB.

2) If you insist on running on 4GB, change the voltage settings for your RAM. I cannot tell you which will work for your system, how ever I can tell you that fiddling with the voltage settings in the BIOS changes system stability for the better. I overclocked my RAM to a 1560MHz frequency (along with my CPU overclock to 1560FSB) and this has kept my system stable thus far.

If your motherboard has auto-overclocking features, simply push it up one level at a time until the system no longer crashes, if you have extensive overclocking knowledge you can manually apply it of course.

Please note that overclocking can damage your system if you do not have sufficient coolant devices for each component.

Hope this helps anyone who reads it.

I have little experience with 64 bit OSs but they seem more trouble than they are worth, partly why I don't bother with them.

What other benefits and downsides to 64 bit will you have besides being able to use 4GB of RAM (just barely)

I think the only real difference between x86 and x64 is that the latter utilises more memory, this means total memory as well from GPU RAM not just system RAM alone. Which can greatly increase performance in memory intensive applications, such as gaming.

When I was using 4GB DDR2 on my copy of x64 Vista I didn't have any problems at all, all arose with DDR3. So it seems to be mostly just DDR3 that has this problem.

I wouldn't touch DDR3 at the moment it needs to become a bit more standardised first, work out some of the kinks in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back