TechSpot

Windows wants a new product key

By melinno01
Apr 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok, I have my hardrive recognized but now greedy windows wants a new product key. different from the one i originally had with the computer. any tips?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

You can contact Dell here: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic100658.html
    Please also note this link has all your drivers in as well ;)

And request a new Recovery CD to be sent to you, I think someone said they cost around $30 or a bit more. I would recommend that this would be a wise investment, if you are missing your original Windows disc
  3. melinno01

melinno01 TS Rookie Topic Starter

i have all the originals. it just keeps asking for another product key. but I'll try this thanks ^_^
  4. melinno01

this hasn't worked dang
  5. kwspony

kwspony TS Enthusiast Posts: 159

is this a fresh install? what version of windows are you installing and what service pack is on that disc? sp2 or 3? You may need to find another disc to do the install.
  6. melinno01

its a fresh install of windows xp media center its I got it when I originally purchased the computer. and its a sp2
  7. AlessBauer

AlessBauer TS Rookie Posts: 33

previous OS be preinstalled?
    or you install it?
  8. melinno01

its a whole new hard drive with no previous OS and I've never used the disks until now
  9. Appzalien

Appzalien TS Rookie Posts: 96

Its possible that either at the store you bought the OS at, or a visitor to your room, stole the key from your disk and used it to install a copy. That means since only one key can be used at any time yours wouls show up as already taken. It wouldn't be the first time a store employee or customer opened the package and stole the key. It does happen.

If you have all the original packaging, contact Microsoft and explain your situation and offer to fax them copies of your purchase and packaging.
  10. melinno01

sounds like it will work ill try it ^_^ thanks
  11. McFlapnJacks

McFlapnJacks TS Rookie Posts: 22

Damn windows, it is ever so greedy >;o

12. melinno01

i am installing it
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.