Windows will not load

charlie61

I have an HP computer running windows vista. The dsl went down for several hours and when it came back up I was unable to get the computer to load windows vista. Can't get into safe mode either. It comes up with the blue HP screen and then goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner. I checked the mouse and keypad and even tried another keypad. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi there,charlie61.

[FONT=Arial]First off, I would suggest that you post as much of your system specs as you know. That can be very useful for anyone attempting a diagnosis. Having said that, I have a couple of questions.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]When you say your DSL was out, does that mean you experienced some kind of power interruption in your area while your PC was running? An improper shutdown, maybe? [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Can you access your BIOS? (If you can, then you might want to check if your boot settings are properly configured, just in case.)[/FONT][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Do you have a repair disk or your Windows Vista installer at hand?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Yes charlie61,
The blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner means that the computer can't "find" the hard drive. if you can't get in, or you don't understand what the bios is, have a computer savvy friend help you with this. Did a power surge from a storm take down your DSL connection?

Thanks Dawn 1113 and Tmagic 650.
The computer is a HP running Vista OS. The ISP DSL went out over a fairly large area but when the DSL came back on line I was unable to get windows to load. The power did not go off. Now the computer will not load windows but I can get into the Configuration mode. When you first turn on the computer it comes up with the HP logo on the blue background then goes to a black screen with the cursor flashing in the upper left hand corner of the screen. The ISP (CenturyLink) tech department said they thought the mother board was bad. I disconnected everything except the monitor and then connected the mouse and keyboard (PS2) back to make sure that everything was connected. I tried a different keyboard with same results.
Thanks for any advice.

It is possible that the DSL drop damaged the motherboard, especially if your internet/network port is integrated into the motherboard as most are. Try pressing the F2 or F10 key while the computer is first booting up to get into the setup screen and look for boot options. Make sure that the hard drive is the first in the boot order

I will double check the boot order on the hard drive. I am pretty sure it is first to boot.
Thanks,
Charlie

Back