Windows won't let me reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to fix my friends computer for a bit now. It was riddled with spyware and virus' (nasty ones, disable the task manager, relable icons, etc). I fixed all of these problems, and left it to him. Before doing this, I tried reformatting. I put the windows CD in (I have tried two separate legit disks now) and followed the steps as I have done in the past, with no luck as explained ahead. The computer is now really messed up (no idea what he does to get it like this, but I dont think its anything too crazy). Attempting to reformat again, I get to the point where you read the agreement by pressing page up or page down, and press F8 to install windows or escape to exit and restart. I can do all of these options except F8. The keyboard works fine - it almost seems as if a virus or something has disabled the F8 key.

I have also tried repairing windows, which brings up some DOS prompts, and asks which intallation of windows would you like to repair (esc to cancel). Well, this is just effed, nothing does anything except esc which reformats. The computer is so screwed now, that explorer doesnt load. I can run the task manager sometimes, and attempt to run explorer. It pops up for a fraction of a second and disappears, with the process still showing up in the task manager. I have tried changing some of the settings in MSconfig to get a diagnostic boot, but have had no luck.

I am usually pretty good with troubleshooting systems, but this one has me stumped. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!! (also, in case this has already been addressed, I looked but couldnt find anything!)

Nate

If you are using a media Keyboard are you sure you dont have the Shift lock on. which switches the Fn keys to the other set of characters or functions on them?

How do you know the F8 key works? I would replace the keyboard with a basic PS2 keyboard and see if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back